Gibson Brands Forums

Thought I would share this...

daveinspain

Guest Farnsburger

Most of this is correct but...

I would not suggest truss rod adjustment for most people. I have done my own but I am a very practical person, even if I do say so my self.

Also, this is completely wrong...

the bridge must be adjusted to SHORTEN the string if the fretted note is too low, or to LENGTHEN the string if the fretted note is too high! Note that the fretted note is the one that's wrong if they're different, and the only one affected by the adjustment in any case!

This is b0llocks, both will change and get closer together until they are the same. Since this guy clearly has no clue about even the most basic aspects of the physics of a guitar I wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him.

Also, this is completely wrong...

the bridge must be adjusted to SHORTEN the string if the fretted note is too low, or to LENGTHEN the string if the fretted note is too high! Note that the fretted note is the one that's wrong if they're different, and the only one affected by the adjustment in any case!

This is b0llocks, both will change and get closer together until they are the same. Since this guy clearly has no clue about even the most basic aspects of the physics of a guitar I wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him.

I'm sorry bro, but an open string is the correct tuning, as is the 12th harmonic. The fretted note is only correct if it is exactly half the length of the open string. The fretted note is being corrected by moving the saddle. After you move the saddle, the string is out of tune. Once you re-tune it, the fretted note will be closer to half the length, therefore closer to being as well intonated as it can be. The open or 12th will now be right, see how close to right the fretted note is.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

In other words, if the A=440 open and at 12th harmonic, but fretted at 12th A=420, it is wrong. Move saddle, make A=440 open and 12th harmonic. If fretted at 12th A=430, it is still wrong, but closer.

Moving the saddle DOES change the tuning, but you move the Grovers to re-make the open and 12th harmonic correct. Only the fretted note has a lasting change when you change the length of the string.

Get me?

rct

Guest Farnsburger

I'm sorry bro, but an open string is the correct tuning, as is the 12th harmonic. The fretted note is only correct if it is exactly half the length of the open string. The fretted note is being corrected by moving the saddle. After you move the saddle, the string is out of tune. Once you re-tune it, the fretted note will be closer to half the length, therefore closer to being as well intonated as it can be. The open or 12th will now be right, see how close to right the fretted note is.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

In other words, if the A=440 open and at 12th harmonic, but fretted at 12th A=420, it is wrong. Move saddle, make A=440 open and 12th harmonic. If fretted at 12th A=430, it is still wrong, but closer.

Moving the saddle DOES change the tuning, but you move the Grovers to re-make the open and 12th harmonic correct. Only the fretted note has a lasting change when you change the length of the string.

Get me?

rct

Yes, but that's not what he said. If he had he'd be right. What he said was that the harmonic won't change when you adjust the saddle and that is not true. Of course you are going to need to retune the string afterwards and, assuming it was correct at the beggining it will be correct again, and therefore the same after you retune the string, this is primary school physics but it is not what he said.

Yes, but that's not what he said. If he had he'd be right. What he said was that the harmonic won't change when you adjust the saddle and that is not true.

I don't see at all where he said that. Not trying to pick a fight, I just see an overview for hopefully somewhat experienced guitar players.

rct

Guest Farnsburger

I don't see at all where he said that. Not trying to pick a fight, I just see an overview for hopefully somewhat experienced guitar players.

rct

No, no RCT. I'm not one of those people where you need to say your not picking a fight. I know that.

The statement (in bold in my post) that only the fretted note will change is what I am getting at. Clearly if he says only the fretted note will change then we have to infer that the harmonic won't. We both know that not to be the case. As we have agreed, the harmonic will return to correct once you've retuned the string. I guess that might be what he meant but I don't trust people who can't speak their first language properly either. :P

Archived