Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar Knob Functionality

Bumpie

This is an incredibly basic question and I'm embarrassed to be asking it, but I am extremely new to guitar (as in just got my first one as a gift).

My wife bought me an Epiphone Les Paul Custom for Xmas that I am not allowed to play until then, but I'm looking forward to getting into it.

The place she bought it at has a typical return policy if defective and she wants me to test it out now making sure its functional, so if it needs to be returned pre Xmas she can do so.

So my terribly newbish question is, I have 4 knobs on the guitar. There is no manual with the guitar at all so I am assuming the knobs are neck volume/tone and bridge volume/tone. Is that correct?

Whats the best way to make sure each knob is doing what it is supposed to, is there anything I should be listening specifically for as the knobs are moved from 0 to 10?

I apologize if this is a truly silly question, I have zero experience in the matter so figured posting here could get some responses to help me make sure I got a good guitar on my way to learning the ropes.

Thanks in advance

Its not a stupid question every beginner guitarist needs some basic guidance on how to operate their instrument.

Anyway to check if everything works put the guitar on your lap in playing position. There are 4 knobs as you mentioned the top 2 are volume and tone controls for the rhythm (neck) side and the bottom 2 knobs are for your treble (bridge) side... so switch the toggle up and mess around with the top knobs and vice versa for the treble. As you twist the volume knob, you should hear nothing on 0 and gradually get louder. The Tone knob if its on full 10 the guitar should sound bright but as you lower the knob it should sound thicker... you don't hear the high frequencies so it sounds thicker and bassier.

One more thing if you have speed knobs they don't indicate which is which so ill tell you now... the 2 knobs that are foward (Toward the neck) are volumes and the 2 knobs toward the input jack are tone knobs.

Hopefully this helped you out and congradulations on the new guitar although its a bit of a tease if you can't play till christmas... :P... I couldn't restrain myself if I were in your shoes :D

There is no such thing as a stupid question ...... only a stupid answer.

so here is my stupid answer...Send it to me and I will test it out thoroughly to make sure it's ok, and keep it safe until Christmas for you [biggrin]

happy new guitar day !

Archived