Gibson Brands Forums

1976 Gibson Dove Refret Questions

iwalktheline

Hello All, I just have a few questions and would love to hear your answers. I have a 1976 Gibson dove and was considering getting it refretted. First question, what should I expect for cost? I realize nothing is certain, just want a ballpark. Second, will this do anything to the sound of the guitar? Does it take away or add to the volume or nothing at all. Third, what exactly is done on the refret? I have never had one done nor ever considered doing one so im pretty clueless on this subject. Should I have the nut and saddle replaced if I get the refret done? I have a very, very good guitar luthier that I found to take my guitars to. Any advice or input would be very helpful. Thanks in advance!!

Link to pictures of my Dove

http://www.auctiva.com/hostedimages/showimage.aspx?gid=1286783&image=441392943&images=441392943,441393679,441393663,441393723,441393702,441393776,441393759,441393251,441393232,441393172,441393149,441393128,441393104,441393742,441393055,441393025,441392997,441392966,441393799,441393821,441393078,441393846&formats=0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0&format=0

If your luthier is that good-take it to him.He may suggest a fret dress rather than a refret,or replacing only some frets.Gibsons with bound necks are more difficult to re-fret as the binding is built up to the fret,rather than the fret laid over the binding.

Either way, this will have no effect on sound & nut & saddle are separate issues.

Like El Capitan said, it would have helped if you showed more pics of the actual frets. And because it is a Dove well you will not have to worry about the binding as they are not against the frets so if they do replace them they won't crack or pull off. But just looking at the pictures you provided I would think maybe at best a fret re-dress looks like maybe all you will need. No idea as to what you are going to be looking at but I would have it checked over and see if you might not have other issues going on to that center seam looks like it maybe seperating in one of the pictures, but hard to tell from just one pic. Good luck with whatever you decide to do

• 3 weeks later...

I just had to put in my .02. If you want to wreck the collector value of your guitar - like cutting it by 1/3 - just go ahead and haphazardly file off those nubs and re-fret it like an Epiphone. I hope you didn't do that, because once the 'nubs' are gone, they can never come back. IMO you're much better off with trying to re-fret between the nubs, even if you lose a few, which is common. A good luthier can re-glue or even re-construct a couple nubs with old binding and acetone, it won't be noticable. Expensive - yes. You're looking at a $1500 or a $2500 fret job instead of a $250 fret job. But spending that extra will retain double cost in the value of the guitar. I would also SAVE THE OLD FRETS. That's right - number them w a label machine, and keep them in the case in an ziplock bag.

Remember - collectors want 100% ORIGINAL. ANY change will impact the value, but keeping ALL the old parts, including the old frets, will go a long way to getting your price and more importantly - maintaining that instrument in original condition for the ages.

IMO - once your axe is "vintage" - it should be reserved for recording and living room jams - NOT taken into bars/clubs or worse "on the road" - there are 1001 alternatives that will sound good, play good, and are more appropriate for touring than a vintage instrument. They aren't making any more of these - so take care of what you have so other generations can enjoy it.

Moucon are you for real, keep the old fret for what. There is absolutely NO DEPRECIATION from a re-fret. It is done so often that its not a big deal these days. If you think someone wants to buy a guitar where the frets need doing then you haven't been at this game to long have you. I have been doing this for almsost 50 years now and can safely say that you are so off base here and that you might be on another planet with this advise.

Look I am not saying that I haven't made a mistake or 500 or so, but I do know that this is the wrong advise to give and almost anyone can tell you nobody wants to keep the old frets and re-doing the frets on a Dove is a safe procedure and is done at many authorized dealer repair shops all over the world.ship

Oh and what nubs are you talikng about

Gotta agree with the last two posts. I don't have a clue what Moucon is talking about. The guitar ain't that collectible and even if it was a professional refret will not result in any appreciable loss of value any more than placing disintegrated tuning buttons would. As to cost it will vary but I believe the general rule of thumb is $10 per fret. As someone pointed out though some Gibsons can run a bit more as the neck binding covers the ends of the frets which is just more of a pain to deal with it. Not sure if that applies to a mid-1970s Dove though.

If you want the nut and saddle replaced go for it. If you don't don't worry about it.

Archived