Gibson Brands Forums

where we mourn ebay auctions

eor

mij emperor

i wanted this. a lot. it went for less than i thought it would, but more than i was willing to pay under these circumstances. and with the bridge "correction" and the missing pickguard and the lack of dimensions... there are other things i need more. i didn't need it, but with the long scale, maple/ebony neck, solid spruce top and huge butt, i could kinda justify it. but all my guitars are projects since i like messing with the parts, so there is a significant parts and labor fee for me buying a new guitar that i need to factor into the cost.

so no.

but still. :( these are rare enough that you have to overpay a little, but i'm good with guitars and have more pressing needs. i guess the next closest thing would be a elitist chet guitar, but i would have rather had this. solid spruce and a skinny nut.

Congratulations! I wanted one of those when they came out in the early-'80's. They didn't last in the line very long, and by the time I came up with the money, they were gone. They're rare--I've actually never seen one in the flesh. (or the wood, or whatever...)

I can hear the jazz solos now...

i can't. mainly because i can't play jazz. and because i didn't buy the guitar. :( it would have been my only long(ish) scale electric, which would have made down tuning easier, and given me more room to work with up the neck, as i capo a lot. still, it would have been closer to zombie ritual than take five.

then again, maple necks mean i could have used flats on it. now i'm sad again.

I saw it too, but didn't bid. The damage from the previous owners put me off.

If it didn't have those problems it would have gone for $2,500 or thereabouts.

the damage didn't bug me at all. that's how things fall into my price range, and i just accept that. i'm broke. this is why i can't have nice things. plus the $300-400 investments in parts and labor to get things to where i want them. had i really wanted it or needed it, it would have been mine. but i can't and i shouldn't, and i guess i didn't. i just get funny about big thin lines sometimes, especially long scales and super especially spruce topped. i guess it started up again when i (stupidly) passed on a really nice hofner (again) and (wisely) decided to mod all my guitars instead.

funny that they were so in demand back in the 80s, yet barely existed. i think one was kinda for sale here about a year ago, and that may have been the only other one i've "seen" for sale. not that i've looked that hard.

but really, $2,500? that's crazy talk, right? really? guess this was my first and last chance to get one and i blew it. woe.

Archived