Gibson Brands Forums

Plug-In EQ's

Guest BentonC

Guest BentonC

Just wanted to see what some of your favorite EQ plugs are. I've been using the Massey VT3, and I like what I'm hearing... a lot! It's not a flexible EQ by any stretch of the imagination, so I haven't been using for any surgical EQ applications, but I really like the tone it lends.

I have two favourite EQ's.

For channel EQ the Voxengo HarmoniEQ is the one that works best for me. The presets really are a very good jumping off point for pretty much anything and only require minimal tweaking to get what I want. It's a little expensive at $90.00 but Voxengo do offer a lot of very decent freebies which offset that cost, and HarmoniEQ does the job for me.

For final mix tweaking I like Variety Of Sound's BootEQ MkII (PC only I'm afraid). In fact, if you're using a PC, I would highly recommend all of Variety Of Sound's (FREE) plugins. They're probably as good as, nearly as good as or better than any similar commercial product. Try their Ferric TDS for a nice tape saturation effect which also works well with amp-sims.

http://varietyofsound.wordpress.com/vst-effects/

Guest BentonC

I'd love to try the Variety of SOund plugs. Another good reason to pick up Reaper soon- nothing but RTAS on ProTools... There are whole lot of great free VST and AU plugs out there that are worth the price of admission.

what i miss in your bundles is an eq mix of the best functions of Dmg Audio Equality, Fabfilter ProQ and Voxengo Gliss Eq3.

From the DMG Audio Equality the auto listen function. The Slope function between 6 and 48db. This is what i really miss in your eq's.

From The Gliss Eq the dynamic behaviour and the Multiple cross-track spectrum analyzer.

Think about.

what i miss in your bundles is an eq mix of the best functions of Dmg Audio Equality, Fabfilter ProQ and Voxengo Gliss Eq3.

From the DMG Audio Equality the auto listen function. The Slope function between 6 and 48db. This is what i really miss in your eq's.

From The Gliss Eq the dynamic behaviour and the Multiple cross-track spectrum analyzer.

Think about.

A lot depends on what type of music you make and what sound you're trying to achieve as to what you use and prefer. As my kind of music is guitar/bass/drums/vocal based I approach recording with the intention of getting the sound as close to right as possible at the recording stage. For example, what's the point of jamming a mic two inches from the guitar speaker cabinet when the great tone you're hearing dictates that the mic should be where your ears are? All the EQ in the world is not going to make a badly recorded guitar or vocal sound good. Frankly, if it appears that I'm going to have to spend longer EQ'ing something to make it sound right than it takes to re-record it I'd rather just do another take. I appreciate and respect that other styles of music rely on EQ and FX to achieve a certain sound and gain maximum volume, but for me EQ, or any other type of FX, is only the sweetener on top.

There is no right or wrong when it comes to EQ or any other type of processing. It's what gets the sound that you want for your music that matters.

Guest BentonC

I like that attitude ..... :)

+1. Seems like there is a huge focus on post-production, "fix it in the mix" with a lot of people these days. The art of tracking is very difficult- in my opinion much more difficult than mixing. Getting a good track on the way in ensures good tracks on the way out. Mic it properly, and you've just cut the job of your eq in post in half.

Guest BentonC

+1. Seems like there is a huge focus on post-production, "fix it in the mix" with a lot of people these days. The art of tracking is very difficult- in my opinion much more difficult than mixing. Getting a good track on the way in ensures good tracks on the way out. Mic it properly, and you've just cut the job of your eq in post in half.

Guest BentonC

• 4 weeks later...
Guest BentonC

Yup- the API stuff is great (it only makes me want the actual API hardware in front of me though...)

As far as compressors- I like the T-Racks, Massey CT-4, and some of the waves classic compressor models (the SSL bus comp is great on 2T mixes)

Archived