Gibson Brands Forums

J-45 Celebrity

guitarguy1

I have been trying to get info on the J-45 I have and I've gotten nowhere. It is the 90th annaversary model with a special lable that states J-45 CEL 43 of 90 82105587. It's rosewood with a jazzmaster neck,fancy inlay on the ebony fingerboard, "The Gibson"

on the headstock,and a very fancy inlay just below the name. It has Gibson deluxe gold tuners and the back of the head is painted black. Binding is on the head and fingerboard and the inlays and the pickguard are unique to this model. The shoulders are more square than my 62 cherry J-45 but not as square as the more square models. It plays like a dream and has a beautiful voice. They tell me it is not so collectable even though it is rare. I think the're crazy. Does any one know about this guit. I'm also wondering about the wood on the back and sides but I don't want to get anybody in hot water because of the trouble the Gov is giving our friends at Gibson. I would appreciate any information anyone can send my way. Thanks,guy

Hi.. Ive owned two J45 Celebs... they were all Indian Rosewood.. heres some info for you....

DSCF0297.jpg

DSCF0295.jpg

Celebrities are Real Nice Guitars... There Not Cheap ... I see the odd one from Time to time in the 2500 to 3 ish range..

They also did a J200 version as well...

I see the odd one from Time to time in the 2500 to 3 ish range..

I think that's actually quite low. One sold on eBay last month for a hair under $5K, and apparently Elderly sold one in the not too distant past for about the same.

There was actually a slight Gibson acoustics quality rebound around that time -- they improved from dreadful to mediocre between about '83 and '86, when Henry & Co. saved the company from going under -- and the Celebs represent the best they could manage at the time, so I expect they're pretty good guitars.

-- Bob R

Archived