Gibson Brands Forums

Fret Problem?

Studebro2

I bought an LP100 and basically I am retired and sit on the couch 'noodling' and learning. After a couple of months I started to get note rattle on the low E string which continued to get worse. I changed the strings as they were 3 months old. The problem was still there and now I am getting a little bit of rattle on the A string. I since figured out the note rattle on the E will stop about the 12th fret. Being a bit of a beginner, I am not sure if this requires an adjustment of some sort or the guitar has a fret issue. I lean towards a fret issue, but would appreciate the opinion of those of you in the know. Thanks

Welcome to the forums, terrific bunch around here, hope you like the place.

Changing seasons and the temperature changes that accompany them often mean the neck will alter it's shape throughout the year, this isn't limited to the mid and low range guitars either, high end expensive ones will go through the same process.

The first thing to try is to raise the bridge on the bass side a touch, when raising the bridge make sure to slacken the strings first and retension them to pitch after each adjustment to test if it's lessened the fret buzz, you may need to do this several times until it plays satisfactorily, turn the screw 1/4 turn each time.

If this doesn't cure the problem after say 1 1/2 turns, then a truss rod adjustment may be necessary.

EDIT: turn the thumb wheel under the bridge counter-clockwise to raise the bridge.

Welcome Stude (a reference to Studebakers?).. and there are numerous learners here, myself included.

Rastus reply is very likely correct, and my short reason is that nothing is maintenance-free. There are tips and procedures in the DIY sections which are extremely helpful in identifying issues related to various problems.

Depending on the age of the guitar, there could be compound issues, but a good place to start is by checking the string clearances at various locations, from the nut to the bridge.

When adjustments are needed, some folks take their instruments to a technician for a complete setup, but many of the members here would rather do these adjustments/setups themselves.. as they share their experiences, the DIY section grows.

There are recommended string clearances for different models, and some leeway for personal preferences, but when the clearances are within the close range of specified, there won't be any unwanted noise problems.

Regards,

Bill

I bought an LP100 and basically I am retired and sit on the couch 'noodling' and learning. After a couple of months I started to get note rattle on the low E string which continued to get worse. I changed the strings as they were 3 months old. The problem was still there and now I am getting a little bit of rattle on the A string. I since figured out the note rattle on the E will stop about the 12th fret. Being a bit of a beginner, I am not sure if this requires an adjustment of some sort or the guitar has a fret issue. I lean towards a fret issue, but would appreciate the opinion of those of you in the know. Thanks

Welcome Stude (a reference to Studebakers?).. and there are numerous learners here, myself included.

Rastus reply is very likely correct, and my short reason is that nothing is maintenance-free. There are tips and procedures in the DIY sections which are extremely helpful in identifying issues related to various problems.

Depending on the age of the guitar, there could be compound issues, but a good place to start is by checking the string clearances at various locations, from the nut to the bridge.

When adjustments are needed, some folks take their instruments to a technician for a complete setup, but many of the members here would rather do these adjustments/setups themselves.. as they share their experiences, the DIY section grows.

There are recommended string clearances for different models, and some leeway for personal preferences, but when the clearances are within the close range of specified, there won't be any unwanted noise problems.

Regards,

Bill

both the above are the right answer.

i find with the change of the seasons i need to tweak my trussrods a bit to avoid the same problem. thats what works for me. when i say tweak i mean about1/8 of a turn or less. puts a bit more bow in the neck. seasons change again. i need to gothe other way... this vs ajusting the bridge.. either way will work..

Thanks to all. Tried the string height adjustment. Next step is the truss rod. I think the best thing to do at this point is to take it in for a setup.

Thanks again, I learned some "stuff".

you might want to get dan erlywines book theres alot of info in there . its saved me alot of cash... theres a setup section..

Archived