Gibson Brands Forums

Thunderbird neck dive

WillC

Ok. One last question. My Thunderbird IV of course suffered from neck dive until I finally broke down and moved the strap button. I am looking at getting the pro version in a few months and am wondering if it also has the same neck dive issue. I would rather not have to go drilling holes in a $500 guitar out of the box. Also, since the pro version of this bass is a neck through design there is no flat surface in the area I would move the strap button to. Is it even possible?

T-birds neck dive. Period. You're just going to have to deal with it if you don't want to move the button from the top to the back. And the back of the bass is flat right at the heel. It's very possible to move the button. Personally I like the top placement better, but it's whatever you like. Moving the strap button is about a five minute mod, and is very easy regardless of woodworking skill. I don't really know your skill level so I'll just say if you have any questions, ask them here at the forum.

T-birds neck dive. Period. You're just going to have to deal with it if you don't want to move the button from the top to the back. And the back of the bass is flat right at the heel. It's very possible to move the button. Personally I like the top placement better, but it's whatever you like. Moving the strap button is about a five minute mod, and is very easy regardless of woodworking skill. I don't really know your skill level so I'll just say if you have any questions, ask them here at the forum.

I already moved the strap button on my tbird goth. When it comes to the pro it's just such a thing of beauty the thought of taking a power tool to it makes me cringe but if I must then I must. Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

There are other options to moving the strap button. All of my straps are rough suede on the inside so they grip my shoulder, that's usually enough for all but my Studio V T-Birds.

Also the Heads-Up strap ( http://www.neckheavy.com ) with a weighted end works well, but may get tiring if you are playing long sets as the bass is already weighing in at about 10 pounds.

Finally you can change out the tuners for light weight gotoh, schaller or hipshot tuners. Before you go with this option, take off your original tuners and see if it still dives. If it does, lighter tuners won't help.

• 5 weeks later...

I have the same problem with my SG EB3 bass.. Its a huge shame it does that as everything else about it is perfect. And the button for the strap is at the back of the guitar but it still dives.. really annoying...

Anyone know any other good solutions?

Archived