Gibson Brands Forums

Special I with .........TWO P-90's

BlueEpiphone

P-90s are on the rise! Instant 70's vintage tone, or with a little knob tweaking, you

get BLUES tone! I've already upgraded the electronics with Full-sized pots, switch, jack,

and Orange-Drops. Me happy. If you've never played P-90s, you WILL be pleasantly surprised.

+1. A lot of manufacturers have introduced P-90 models lately. There's a hard core fan base for them, for good reason. Think of 1970 era Leslie West, Tony Iommi, Pete Townsend (Live at Leeds), and Carlos Santana. Some of the best recorded tones there are.

I stopped in GC at Seven Corners (VA) yesterday and played a yellow one. Meh. Not sure what I was expecting for a $129 Chinese bolt-on, but I suppose there's worse out there for the same or more money! I think the satin-y worn finish threw me. I was expecting a nice gloss on it.

What was the weight like on that yellow one? Was it noticably light-weight, or was it typical of a guitar that size?

There was no risk of me tossing it through the ceiling tiles when I took it from the salesperson's hands, but yeah, I guess it was pretty light, come to think of it. The best thing about it was how nice the P90's sounded. I recently got a Riviera P93 that more nasally than I expected, plugged in. But this Special I P90 - all 3 tones were nice to listen to through a medium sized store display solid state Acoustic brand amp with no effects or 'verb or anything.

There was no risk of me tossing it through the ceiling tiles when I took it from the salesperson's hands, but yeah, I guess it was pretty light, come to think of it. The best thing about it was how nice the P90's sounded. I recently got a Riviera P93 that more nasally than I expected, plugged in. But this Special I P90 - all 3 tones were nice to listen to through a medium sized store display solid state Acoustic brand amp with no effects or 'verb or anything.

I was wondering becuase I just bought a Junior, and as you may know they are spec'd as basswood. But this one (TV Yellow) is mahogany. I could tell right away by the difference in weights when comparing the different color guitars. The other Juniors were all very, VERY light. The yellow one felt "normal", you could say.

I was just curious if the Special P90 guitars were the same way.

Its a Schaller 456 fine tune bridge. There has been concern brought up about this bridge possibly being too high for a set-neck guitar, but that is mainly speculation at this point as I dont think anyone here has actually used one on a set neck.

Nope. My Carvin is a set neck and has that bridge. (Granted it's the stock bridge, so the guitar was built for it.)

(Edit for Picture)

41137_1607400904304_1214625898_31663629_4660168_n.jpg

Nope. My Carvin is a set neck and has that bridge. (Granted it's the stock bridge, so the guitar was built for it.)

Good to know! [thumbup]

I dont see why there would be a height problem with the Schaller 456. They arent much taller than a wraparound, and you usually have room to lower them anyway. I also double checked the Junior over the weekend. I still have plenty of room to come down...and after I throw some 9's on it, I probably will.

Archived