Gibson Brands Forums

Special I with .........TWO P-90's

BlueEpiphone

Guitar Center says it is their exclusive Limited Edition. It's not a Special II because it uses a Jr. Stopbar but the 2 pickups,2 pots, and pickup selector (mounted between the pots) resemble the Special II's setup. The news (at least to me) is that it has 2 P-90's. The neck is bolt-on mahogany and the body is basswood and the usual LP shaped slab top. Colors are worn black, worn cherry and worn yellow. The price is $129 U.S. until Dec. 24. I want one. ](*,)

FWIW...if someone wanted to see if they like P-90s and never had a P-90 guitar I don't see how they could go wrong.

For $130 you could play it for a couple of months. If you decided you didn't like them you could still probably get $100 for the guitar without much problem.

Of course, they do come with the inexpensive tuners. If I did want one, I would like to find it in one of their stores. At least you could try it out and make sure the tuners were OK on the one you buy.

Also, they are available from MF. I just wonder if they are really getting it right.

When looking at some of the pics at MF, some of them are shown with the 700T pickups.

Wouldn't be the first time they had either a description or the pic screwed up!

The reason for my warning is that if any of you order one be very specific!!!

The one with the wrap around tp is available as a Junior Special I. It has the 700T pickups.

The one with the wrap around tp and the P-90s is specified as a Special I P-90.

They are the same cost.

Willy

The reason for my warning is that if any of you order one be very specific!!!

The one with the wrap around tp is available as a Junior Special I. It has the 700T pickups.

The one with the wrap around tp and the P-90s is specified as a Special I P-90.

They are the same cost.

Willy

I noticed this a couple weeks ago, but they were both listed as humbucker guitars with identical pics. I was scratching my head on this one. It sounds like they finally got it staightened out.

Isnt this the same guitar that Mat posted a couple of weeks ago too? IIRC, it was an ebay auction listed as "rare".

I swore somebody wrote "I love my Special II" and so I say PICTURES PLEASE EVEN IF THEY ARE JUNIORS OR SPECIALS!!

ok. This one is mine until Christmas. Then it belongs to my daughter. She doesnt know about it yet, and I told her she wasnt getting a guitar until February, [biggrin]

Also, if anyone is planning on getting one, examine them carefully and complare weights between colors. This TV Yellow has a mahogany body instead of basswood.

I did tuner and bridge mods, and the usual setup stuff.

TVmod1.jpg

TVmod2.jpg

TVmod3.jpg

TVmod4.jpg

TVmod5.jpg

ok. This one is mine until Christmas. Then it belongs to my daughter. She doesnt know about it yet, and I told her she wasnt getting a guitar until February, [biggrin]

Also, if anyone is planning on getting one, examine them carefully and complare weights between colors. This TV Yellow has a mahogany body instead of basswood.

I did tuner and bridge mods, and the usual setup stuff.

TVmod1.jpg

TVmod2.jpg

TVmod3.jpg

TVmod4.jpg

TVmod5.jpg

Thank you RTH I'm feeling the blood rushing back....do you ever see blueburst LP-100's for sale AND are P-90's a drop-in replacement for humbuckers?

Okay, so THIS is the P90 one and THIS is the same exact thing, but with humbuckers right? Interesting, the P90 one says it is mahogany and the humbucker one says basswood. Why the difference in the wood? [confused]

Maybe the retailers have their info wrong. It seems like they usually do a copy/paste without looking at the details. I guess you will just have to go to a retailer and see for yourself. [thumbup]

Maybe the retailers have their info wrong. It seems like they usually do a copy/paste without looking at the details. I guess you will just have to go to a retailer and see for yourself. [thumbup]

MF says it's mahogany too, but then again they don't even have the pics right. As far as checking one out at a retailer, I'll choose Option B and save myself the hour long drive and just wait until someone on here buys one, takes it apart (you know it will happen), and tells me what it's made of. [thumbup]

MF says it's mahogany too, but then again they don't even have the pics right. As far as checking one out at a retailer, I'll choose Option B and save myself the hour long drive and just wait until someone on here buys one, takes it apart (you know it will happen), and tells me what it's made of. [thumbup]

Ah yes, the inevitable "Option B". Its bound to happen sooner or later. The next time I go to GC, I'll have a look.

Maybe the retailers have their info wrong.

Couldn't possibly happen. Could it?

MF says it's mahogany too, but then again they don't even have the pics right.

Ah yes, the inevitable "Option B".

LOL...That is the reason I bought a set of Gibson P-90s from Sweetwater.

I called GC a and MF. I was looking for a set of soapbars...The ones with the mounting screw holes in the top!?

The pics they had on the web did not have the holes. They weren't even the right shape.

When I looked close I realized they just cropped the ears off a set of dog ears and called them soapbars.

I wanted to make sure I was getting the correct pickups so I asked them both about it.

Neither knew anything about what I was talking about. Both told me to go look online for a Gibson with soapbars and that is "probably" what I would get!?!?!?

rofl.gif

Willy

Man, for being one of the biggest guitar retailers on the planet, they sure dont know squat about what they sell.

Very true...........I've had some conversations on the phone with them which ended up darn funny; ie, one gal didn't know what recording software was,

one didn't know why I was asking if a specific amp was class A or class A/B......He told me that " Class A/B amps mean they have two channels." [scared][blink] ..

Anyways, RTH, what's that awesome bridge you put on that guitar ????????

Very true...........I've had some conversations on the phone with them which ended up darn funny; ie, one gal didn't know what recording software was,

one didn't know why I was asking if a specific amp was class A or class A/B......He told me that " Class A/B amps mean they have two channels." [scared][blink] ..

Anyways, RTH, what's that awesome bridge you put on that guitar ????????

Its a Schaller 456 fine tune bridge. They cost around $80 or so. Its made as a specific replacement for a wraparound and gives the same type of functionality as a Tune-o-matic with a stopbar...mainly the adjustable saddles and break angle. There has been concern brought up about this bridge possibly being too high for a set-neck guitar, but that is mainly speculation at this point as I dont think anyone here has actually used one on a set neck. I can say that when I put it on the Junior, I didnt have to adjust the neck or shim it at all. I did have to lower the posts quite a bit from where they were set for the wraparound though. This bridge also likes to sit on an angle, but it doesnt seem to be a problem...and you can push on the back-end of it to get a vibrato effect. Also, its HEAVY! It could be a good counterbalance to a guitar with neck dive...like say, the basswood SG Juniors (cherry & ebony models AFAIK). Matiac has confirmed the neck dive on the cherry model. No such problem with this mahogany TV Yellow.

I just realized that the bridge and tuners on "my" Junior retail for more than the actual guitar. [blink]

Interesting thread... [biggrin]

I guess I went the "Polar Opposite". I bought A Rondo Music Strat Copy with Two P-90s

for $119.00. LOVE the tone, and it "Feels" just like a Strat.

P-90s are on the rise! Instant 70's vintage tone, or with a little knob tweaking, you

get BLUES tone! I've already upgraded the electronics with Full-sized pots, switch, jack,

and Orange-Drops. Me happy. If you've never played P-90s, you WILL be pleasantly surprised.

But, just MY opinion...

From "Guitar and Gear Review" Thread:

SX HAWK MN MH Strat Copy With 2 P-90s and Stop Tail:

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/70034-sx-hawk-strat-copy-with-2-p-90s-i-found-the-missing-link/

Thanks RTH, I'll look into those...........

Heck, I put a gold U.S.A. Bigsby and two Gibby Classic 57s on an Epi Les Paul Studio (white)............

Upgrades are upgrades.....And usually worth it.....

I checked out a Special I P-90 at Guitar Center today. It was the black finish model and I would definitely say it is basswood. I was surprised how light it was. I personally like the weight of it because I am used to my Epi. Jr. and that is surprisingly heavy. The pickups had a nice clean sound. I did not see any red or yellow Special I P-90's or SG Jr.s out on the display floor.

I stopped in GC at Seven Corners (VA) yesterday and played a yellow one. Meh. Not sure what I was expecting for a $129 Chinese bolt-on, but I suppose there's worse out there for the same or more money! I think the satin-y worn finish threw me. I was expecting a nice gloss on it.

Archived