Gibson Brands Forums

Need help with Vintage Kluson tuners

Neimenljivi

Hi guys. I own a Gibson Les Paul Studio Pro with Vintage Kluson with Pearloid Keystone Buttons tuners - 14:1 ratio. They work perfectly fine, except for my G string - when I try to tune it there's some sort of a leap between when the point where the string is just a bit flat to the point where the string is sharper than it should be. What can I do to prevent this from happening? I've already intonated guitar so the problem shouldn't be there - it was there before I intonated it anyway. First I just thought it was the strings, but I have a fresh set on my axe and it's happening again. My guitar keeps tune very fine, except with the G string that goes sharp and I have no idea how to prevent that from happening (note I do bend strings a lot when I play but it only helps temporarily).

Would maybe drawing over the nut with a graphite pencil help?

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Les-Paul-Studio-Pro-Faded/Specs.aspx that's the axe I use

Thanks for the help, much appreciated :)

Most of the issues you stated are commonly related to the nut-

graphite might work, but, you may want to touch up the string groove with a small file- don't over do it, just touch it up a bit, you can still use graphite if you need to.

Has it been professionally set up? You might want to consider that. Let him/her look it over for other areas that might bring problems down the road.

Thanks marvar.

Could you please elaborate on what you mean by touching up the string groove with a small file please? (not a native Englishman here)

The guitar hasn't been professionally set up, but I don't think the problem is with the intonation as the string was doing that before I intonated the guitar properly, and the problem was still more than apparent after I intonated it.

when I try to tune it there's some sort of a leap between when the point where the string is just a bit flat to the point where the string is sharper than it should be.

Getting a bit of a pop up?

Marvar is correct...Probably a tight nut slot.

Without deepening it just make it a bit wider and smoother with a small file. Graphite does help.

If you have a welding supply store in the area get a set of torch tip cleaners for about $5. U.S.

They are small round files. Pick one slightly larger than the string and smooth the slot out.

Torch-tip-cleaner.jpg

Willy

This is a really common problem. Start with a tiny drop of lube, like Nut Sauce or Graphitall. If that doesn't work, it may be necessary to relieve the slot at the nut. Stewmac sells nut filesfor this purpose. When relieving a nut slot, be careful not to make the slot deeper, and make sure that the slot is tapered properly (deeper toward the headstock end of the slot, rather than the fretboard end of the slot)so that the string bears at a single point.

The G string is especially susceptible, as the nut is usually cut for an unwound third string, and some string sets have a wound G, just like an acoustic guitar. Even with an unwound G, the diameter of that string can vary significantly depending on the general gauge (light, medium, etc.) of the string set.

In any case, the tuners are not at fault.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks j45nick :)

I decided I couldn't bare with it any more so I untightened the strings and used my pencil to paint over the nut and the problem is gone now :) True my higher E string broke, too thin to take the restringing again obviously, I should have replaced them all but they were still ok, but the other strings are still quite ok.. A bit harder to tune, as they lost their stretching ability, but that is still bareable and that'll change as soon as I replace all of them :)

Archived