Gibson Brands Forums

An Aussie buying from musicians friend

tpurgatoryt

Gents, isn't it possible to buy things from individuals in the US and get it shipped ok? If you cultivated a relationship with a reliable person who could find what you want and ship it properly, then you could get what you want without the headaches. I was thinking about this because of a recent event with a coworker of mine. She lives in California and is not a player. Her brother is a guitar teacher in NZ. She's going to visit the family soon for the Christmas holiday and purchased a VERY nice US Tele and Twin from another coworker and is bringing it down with her for her brother. I looked at the stuff for her and could assure her it was absolutely prime and a tremendous deal, so it's all good. I thought, with the prices you guys are stuck with, surely some sort of network of aficionados could do these things, for at least a small markup to make it worthwhile. Perhaps Rastus has tried, to no avail....sorry.

Gents, isn't it possible to buy things from individuals in the US and get it shipped ok? If you cultivated a relationship with a reliable person who could find what you want and ship it properly, then you could get what you want without the headaches

I have also done this on occasion, one caveat being individuals cannot get shipping at anywhere near the same price as businesses, and over the last several months international shipping prices in general have ballooned due to new security restrictions and procedures that have to be followed, so it's six of one, half a dozen of the other.

This situation is pitiful. There are plenty of guitars changing hands here in ths USA, and I'm sure lots of them would be of interest to folks down under, but shipping is apparently an ugly mess. I don't know about exchange rates, and how that might affect these transactions, but that's a consideration, too. I know a guy wanting to sell this perfectly nice (actually quite nice) Epi LP, but....

This situation is pitiful. There are plenty of guitars changing hands here in ths USA, and I'm sure lots of them would be of interest to folks down under, but shipping is apparently an ugly mess. I don't know about exchange rates, and how that might affect these transactions, but that's a consideration, too. I know a guy wanting to sell this perfectly nice (actually quite nice) Epi LP, but....

I bought most of my collection just over 3 years ago, at the time the Oz dollars was at 82c, more than half of them where over 10yo, I was after particular models that were era specific, the shipping cost at that time were reasonable. I could still land them here for an average of half the price they would cost here, that's if you could find half of them here.

Now because of new security restrictions introduced by the US government, the shipping is becoming ridiculously priced, our current exchange rate is just over the US dollar, at $1.01 as I write this.

EDIT: as mentioned above, shipping always costs an individual way more than a business who has an account with the courier services.

Maybe my coworker could run a guitar-courier service a couple times a year! Of course, if they catch her bringing in genuine MIK or MIC Epiphones (or whatever) from America, who knows what could happen to her! How could she explain this nefarious activity? Of course, then she'd have to ship it from NZ to AUS, and that might get expensive, too, added to whatever it costs to get it there from here... What do I know? International finance and shipping are not my forte. Say, any of you know Graeme Pattingale, over in Sydney? He runs the outstanding "Cream -- Those Were the Days" site.

Say, any of you know Graeme Pattingale, over in Sydney? He runs the outstanding "Cream -- Those Were the Days" site.

I live 2,000 kms North of Sydney, I'am a huge fan of Cream though, but have never come across that site, I'll have to check it out when I get the time, thanks for the heads up. I do have a friend from Melbourne who runs Raw Brit shows, covers from the late '60s and early '70s Brittish Rock guys, he has played in several high profile Aussie bands when younger and has even been inducted into the Australian Record Industry Association Hall of Fame.

Here's one of their Cream covers, he's the lead guitarist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8fr3EcqUdU&feature=player_embedded

Pretty nice cover; that unhurried pace is the key to doing some of Cream's songs well. A little hot on the pickups (blades!) and definitely with a modern slant, but some very nice nods to EC's phrases in a couple places. Liked it. Any Cream fan wants to check Graeme's site: http://gpatt.custome...e.net.au/cream/

I've watched Clapton from only several feet away, my eyes transfixed on every thing he did, he doesn't look like he's doing anything, so relaxed and unhurried it beggars belief, but the sound coming out was nothing short of sonic bliss, and far, far meatier than his lack of urgency would suggest, why they call him 'ol slowhands I suppose.

EDIT: I've know Bob for close to 40yrs, his greatest influence has always been Paul Kossof of Free.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-ZV5Vestao

I've watched Clapton from only several feet away, my eyes transfixed on every thing he did, he doesn't look like he's doing anything, so relaxed and unhurried it beggars belief, but the sound coming out was nothing short of sonic bliss, and far, far meatier than his lack of urgency would suggest, why they call him 'ol slowhands I suppose.

EDIT: I've know Bob for close to 40yrs, his greatest influence has always been Paul Kossof of Free.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-ZV5Vestao

I always liked Free, and they were on the bill with Delaney & Bonnie when I saw Blind Faith, but I never was as fond of Kossof as many were.

I was looking around on musicians friend, and alot of the guitars in the used section ship to australia (where as alot of the brand new guitars dont)

would it be a bad idea to buy a used guitar from america?

i assume it would have to past some sort of "quality control" so they know

its deffinatly playable, and they tell you and show you the extent of the

damage if there is any, which is usually only light scrathes.

I was looking at en Epi LP Plus top pro fx for $399 plus $71 p&h which in totalt is $470, but in AUD is $460.

And for that guitar in store in australia is about $700 - 800

Its unbeleivably tempting... [drool]

I bought a "2nd" Prophecy GX from MF that was in mint condition. When I got it I completely stripped it to make sure there wasn't any hidden damage or I'd send it back. The thing was totally flawless! All we can figure is that someone bought it, didn't like it and sent it back? Or maybe it had a dead pot or pickup, so MF fixed it and put it back up for sale? There wasn't even any polishing swirls in the finish or anything? Perfectly smooth finish, no blems or anything.

I'm also on my second Pro/FX, love them! For 40 years I always wanted a Les Paul with a trem from the factory, rather than me diddling it on. Couldn't be happier.

Archived