Gibson Brands Forums

How do you explain this?

hotshot9991

ok, so I have a Duncan 59 that I just got and installed but when I read it with my ohm meter yesterday, it said it was dead so I tried 2 more meters and the same thing came up, I tried 2 more pickups and a reading came up.So I installed the 59 and it still sounds great wtf is this? maybe its haunted.............

Make sure the red and white wires are connected to each other. Put your black probe on the green wire and your red probe on the green wire. You should read a DC resistance of 7.4k for the 59 neck and 8.1k for the 59 bridge.

still nothing lol, Ive herd of this happening to people but still its just weird to me

when the tone is all the way down do you still get a loud sound from the pickup?

if not=it's burned. if you do then it's as we concluded, a miracle indeed.

I was thinking maybe one of the coil winds has a short because if the coil winding isn't broken and you still have the winding left it will atleast give off sound, because I took off the tape surrounding the winds and on the one side of the bobbin it looks like there is corrosion on the coil.

Sorry to dig up an old thread but I meant to reply to this the other day and forgot.

It's not a shorted coil. If it were you would still see the other coil with your meter. So it would read 3 to 4 K. Not dead.

The only time I have seen pickups read dead but work perfectly with a digital meter is when the range is set wrong. You say you are sure you have set your meters range to 20K which could suggest that the pickup has been over wound to more than 20K.

Set your meter to the 200K range and see what it says.

Archived