Gibson Brands Forums

Best sound?

poopcicle

I know its all subjective but what string suggestions out there to get the most out of my nanommag and nanoflex combo on my masterbilt? I currently am using Gibson gear masterbuilt 12's and it sounds good but I want to know if anyone has stumbled on a particular type or material that really makes it sing! thanks and Happy Holidays everyone!

I know its all subjective but what string suggestions out there to get the most out of my nanommag and nanoflex combo on my masterbilt? I currently am using Gibson gear masterbuilt 12's and it sounds good but I want to know if anyone has stumbled on a particular type or material that really makes it sing! thanks and Happy Holidays everyone!

wow 40+ views and no suggestions.........ouch! [unsure]

P.C.

Merry Christmas! I have a DR-500 MCE, but I just don't plug in much. I put D'adarios PB's on it, and they sound great unplugged, but I don't have anything to compare them too. I hope someone who has more experience will chime in.

(Cue the crickets)

Tim

I think a lot of what sounds good is due to four factors:

1. The individual instrument.

2. The way the instrument is played.

3. Strings.

4. Whether you're playing amplified and therefore the amp, or strictly acoustic.

I got my Masterbilt intending to flatpick it. Still, it's wearing what most would figure are too light, the 10-46 Elixirs. I think the Elixirs in general are a little less bright than non-coated. But again, even flatpicking, I tend to be a lot gentler than some.

The guitar's preamp, then the amplifier and its settings will make a huge difference in overall sound from the speaker, too. My AE amp has a 10-inch speaker which will allow a bit more depth for bass and mids than something like the Fender AE amps with smaller speakers - but again we're at the place where your ear and some experimentation will make a big difference.

Many AE amps have a dial that allows lessening a given point in the sound spectrum that seems to give feedback. That also will cut the sound wherever a particular guitar and player/amp placement seems to bring feedback so that's another variable.

Frankly I think just a set of strings you're comfortable playing your particular style is the best answer if you're gonna use the pickups. The two pups of this setup can be blended differently too so...

In effect you're in a situation not unlike any electric guitarist where the qualities of the guitar, blend of the pickups and on-board volume/tone settings, then the amp settings, need to be messed with a bit to get what you want the guitar to sound like. You're adding variables on top of variables so depending on what sound you consider "best," messing with the guitar's controls and amp settings may make more diff than strings - unlike playing strictly acoustic.

m

Archived