Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone IB Texan Strings

Ruff

I just recently bought the Epiphone FT-79 AN Insp. by Texan guitar with the natural "vintage" finish and I'm generally delighted with the instrument. I've owned and played acoustic guitars for over 40 years. This model sounds good - bright and resonant right out of the box. However, I do notice that the G-string doesn't have quite as much brightness as the other 5 strings. The strings are the factory installed strings. The guitar stills sound good to me as is, when strummed or when playing rhythm chords. But I can tell the slight difference in the G-string's tone when finger picking. I haven't had anything done to the instrument - no set-up (it plays fine to me as is) and no other changes such as strings. I would appreciate any thought or comments regarding what to do to clean up the sound a little - give it a little more sparkle, including if set-up is recommended, new strings (& if so, which) and any other improvements that you may offer as a suggestion. Thank you kindly.

I would certainly replace the string you could have a bad one; it does happen. On the other hand is it only noticeable when played open? Or even when Fretted?

The nut could be the problem.

BadNut.jpg

Hope that helps, good luck.

Thanks for the reply, RIX. The nut appears to be good from what I can see. I've got a set of Elixir Nanoweb light strings (.012 - .053) that I've had on the shelf since November 2010 when I restrung another guitar, when they had a 2 for 1 sale at the local music shop. Any idea what strings come on it from the factory? I welcome other suggestions.

Does your guitar string "ping," when you tune it? If so, it's catching in the nut!

If you're not comfortable, widening (not deepening) the nut slot, slightly...take it

to a good luthier, and have them do that, for you. He/She may do all the slots, or

just the one in question. The plastic nuts, are notorious, for this problem, even on

the more expensive Gibson's. Graphite powder, or pencil lead, in the nut slots, will

help, as well. Keeps the slots lubricated, so the strings move more freely. Good Luck!

CB

It never hurts to take the guitar to a reputable shop and have it looked at. While most guitars are set up ok before they leave the factory, it can be a hurried process and you want to give it a personal touch, so take it to your local shop. Your local repair man (or woman) can look it over and make sure everything is ship-shape.

As for strings, I would heartily recommend D'Addario EJ-17s. They are a good, trustworthy set of mediums (which the IB'64 Texans need, in my opinion) and they are very consistent from set to set.

Does your guitar string "ping," when you tune it? If so, it's catching in the nut!

If you're not comfortable, widening (not deepening) the nut slot, slightly...take it

to a good luthier, and have them do that, for you. He/She may do all the slots, or

just the one in question. The plastic nuts, are notorious, for this problem, even on

the more expensive Gibson's. Graphite powder, or pencil lead, in the nut slots, will

help, as well. Keeps the slots lubricated, so the strings move more freely. Good Luck!

CB

No ping Charlie, but you and RIX have both suggested the nut maybe the cause. I think I'll ask the tech to check it. Thanks.

It never hurts to take the guitar to a reputable shop and have it looked at. While most guitars are set up ok before they leave the factory, it can be a hurried process and you want to give it a personal touch, so take it to your local shop. Your local repair man (or woman) can look it over and make sure everything is ship-shape.

As for strings, I would heartily recommend D'Addario EJ-17s. They are a good, trustworthy set of mediums (which the IB'64 Texans need, in my opinion) and they are very consistent from set to set.

Thank you very much.

Ruff...I too have that same Texan, got it this past spring and have put hundreds of hours on it up to now. This is my only acoustic and I do play out/rehearse 3 times a week about 3 hours a time. I reckon I average 9-12 hours a week with this great guitar. I just posted about replacing the plastic pins with wooden (ebony) ones and it does sounds brighter to me.

brigepins.jpg

Ray

Ruff...I too have that same Texan, got it this past spring and have put hundreds of hours on it up to now. This is my only acoustic and I do play out/rehearse 3 times a week about 3 hours a time. I reckon I average 9-12 hours a week with this great guitar. I just posted about replacing the plastic pins with wooden (ebony) ones and it does sounds brighter to me.

brigepins.jpg

Ray

I haven't thought that the pins would affect the sound at all, certainly not like the nut or the bridge might but I appreciate your sharing that with me, Ray. I'm looking at having the string replaced with lighter strings and also having the tech check the nut too. I'll run that by him as well. Thanks again.

Archived