Gibson Brands Forums

SD Bridge Pickup Spacing - Standard or Trembucker

JB&JBfan

Hi All,

My second post here and a question. I want to replace the stock Alinco Classic Humbuckers in a 2005 Epiphone Explorer with a Seymour Duncan SH-4 JB Bridge and SH-2n Neck. It looks to me like the standard size (SH) and not the larger TremBucker (TB) size in the Bridge would fit the best. Am I right about this? There's a lot of (redundant) information on the web that says the TB or F-spacing is correct for Epiphones which has me wondering.

thanks,

Dave

Welcome aboard. It's been my understanding that TB (SDs version) or F-spaced (DiMarzio) piokups are made to work with Fender bridges. Since most, if not all Epiphone guitars use Gibson type bridges, I don;t think that you want to use one on an Epiphone. Here's a Gibson spaced pickup on a Fender. The poles don't line up very well with the strings. An TB pickup would be just as misaligned on an Gibson.

cycloneJBbridge-267x300.jpg

Most of the Epiphone pickup pole spacing that I've seen has been 52mm for the bridge p-up and 50mm for the neck p-up.

String spacing at the saddles (Epiphone tune-o-matic) or rollers on bridges is often a fixed distance, but some bridges allow individual string spacings to be adjusted to the player's preference.

I haven't paid much attention to Floyd Rose string spacing specs.

I found some info regarding F-spacing a while ago on Wikipedia - Pickup (music technology)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pickup_%28music_technology%29

Under the Construction section there is a chart of some popular spacings and the specs in inch and meteric. There may be more pertinent info on Wiki under guitar topics, but aftermarket p-up manufacturers generally provide the specs on their websites.

The E-to-E string spacings at the bridge (and nut) represent the span of distance between the 1st and 6th strings' centerlines measured with a somewhat precise instrument such as a caliper (some engineer/machinist rules/scales are accurate enough if the user is comfortable with fractions/inch-metric conversions), but a typical school student's ruler generally results in a guesstimation.

Some parts sellers provide sketchy specs at best, and some are just incorrect.

This is where p-up upgrading becomes a somewhat technical research project. As previously mentioned, p-up pole spacing and string spacing don't have to exactly match, but I think most owners would prefer the spacings to match.

Bill

Hi All,

My second post here and a question. I want to replace the stock Alinco Classic Humbuckers in a 2005 Epiphone Explorer with a Seymour Duncan SH-4 JB Bridge and SH-2n Neck. It looks to me like the standard size (SH) and not the larger TremBucker (TB) size in the Bridge would fit the best. Am I right about this? There's a lot of (redundant) information on the web that says the TB or F-spacing is correct for Epiphones which has me wondering.

thanks,

Dave

I'm not sure on the details because I bought that particular guitar 2nd-hand and with the pickups already switched, but I own an epi LP studio with an SD TB-6 Trembucker on the bridge. That pickup has a 52.6 mm spacing so it fits the epi perfectly (I think, as mentioned above me, that that's the epi spacing. I know for sure that the pickup/string alignment is perfect). So... I don't know what the web says, but mine fits :P I'm sure there are more educated opinions around though.

Archived