Gibson Brands Forums

New Recording Gear.

Steven Tari

The last CD I put out I used a D1600 Korg Recorder and a Korg CR4 4 track recorder. I had bought a computer recording set up in my new Desk Top computer but it never worked. I thought it was me trying to get my Korg Triton LE to MIDI into it. But come to find out after the mother board went out in that new computer, when my good paid friends of the Best Buy GEEK Crew put it together. That when they came to the part of installing it, that there wasn't enough power plugs for the stuff I was getting added ( I also added another hard drive for my recordings). So instead of telling me this, they just left it without power and had me think that it was my keyboard that wouldn't hook up. So I waisted a lot of money instead of adding a 50.00 dollar fan which would have taken care of the problem.

So this time, my wifes laptop just went out so I gave her mine which is about 6 months old and bought a new one with more memory and USB ports for the new recording gear I just bought for this round of recording. The first piece is an AudioBox 1818VSL For the Mixing and some recording. It has the hook ups for my Samson Monitors and the hook up and software to Mix a lot of my work myself. The second piece is a Behringer B-control Fader BCF2000. This is more for my recording MIDI and my Guitars.

I'm going to find out which works better with stage mic's and then Studio mic's. I think both have Phantom power for the Studio mic's. But since my new Studio isn't fixed up yet and it's so cold I'm doing the recording in my spare bedroom/office space. The only problem is going to be putting down the Singing. I'm going to have to wait for the night. No kids outside and no Dogs barking.

The last thing I just got for my Acoustic/ Electric guitars is a Peavey Ecoustic E 110 And foot controller. I bought the 100 Wt. set up for playing outside on stage. Plus I can plug my mic's into it. I'm getting rid of my big gear, so this gives me a small P.A. untill I can get a smaller unit. I might just get rid of the SP-4's and keep the XF 600 R and add a couple 15 in. pole speakers. Y'all got any Ideas that I left something out please let me Know.

I got a bit lost with that.

I can't see how the lack of power couplings would affect the MIDI input from your Korg. You'd just plug it into the MIDI in on the soundcard or a USB socket depending on what it's got (I don't think the Triton had USB).Whether your soundcard is on a PCI slot or USB it takes its power from the motherboard.

Power splitters for extra hard drives are easy to fit and they're only about £1.25 UK ($2.00 US) a piece. Assuming you've got a 500w or better PSU you could probably (space permitting) run four or so hard drives from it, although it would be wise to budget for an extra fan. If you wanted more, just up the PSU to 750w.

Apart from that, I take it you'll be using the Studio One software that comes with Audiobox. Be interesting to hear what you think of that combination.

I got a bit lost with that.

I can't see how the lack of power couplings would affect the MIDI input from your Korg. You'd just plug it into the MIDI in on the soundcard or a USB socket depending on what it's got (I don't think the Triton had USB).Whether your soundcard is on a PCI slot or USB it takes its power from the motherboard.

Power splitters for extra hard drives are easy to fit and they're only about £1.25 UK ($2.00 US) a piece. Assuming you've got a 500w or better PSU you could probably (space permitting) run four or so hard drives from it, although it would be wise to budget for an extra fan. If you wanted more, just up the PSU to 750w.

Apart from that, I take it you'll be using the Studio One software that comes with Audiobox. Be interesting to hear what you think of that combination.

The power they didn't have enough of was in the computer.They only had a couple extra power hook ups for added stuff. The new recording set up was on the computer itself with all the mic hook up's, 1/4 in. and the midi, Everything had a hook up outside the computer. I had plenty USB, 1/4 in. and RCA hookups. Just the power was never hooked up inside for me to bring it up wiht power.Also the new Hard drive was mounted inside the new computer. Everything added was inside to make it more compact set up. The main thing I was first useing it on was the MIDI because I was recording the guitar and voice somplace else. So when it didn't work for me I went out and got the D1600 korg to do all the recording on. But the Korg is so complecated to me, I had to use the book for every song, because of all the things that had to be done. I worked with a computer tech this time to get my gear, to make it easier this time. I looked at a couple other setups before I made up my mind on these. As things go on, I'll let you know what I thinkabout the combination of this gear and post the song's to get your opinion on them as I record them.

• 1 month later...

I got the picture as soon as you said Best Buy! Its a great store to shop at but not to have a computer special built at! I've had all my work station's built or assembled by the good folks at Sweetwater Sound. There customer service is top notch too. There are other companies out there that do this same thing but I can only talk about my good experience with Sweetwater.

The last machine they did for me, I ordered the stock computer from a wholesaler, had them ship it to Sweetwater and Sweetwater loaded all the recording stuff to the computer and then sent it to me ready to use.

It did take some extra time but I've had no major problem's with the system and it still works as good as it did when I first got it 5 years ago. I'm not in a working studio, more so as a web and part-time DAW computer, I've put 50-100 hours on DP5 (DAW software) and about the same in IMoive (video software) god knows how many hours I've put on the internet with this machine, I do have a PC that I use for gaming and web too but this Mac Pro has been run through it's pace's for sure.

Archived