Gibson Brands Forums

What guitar is this question

MartyMcFly

Im sorry if this is a noob question but im trying to locate a guitar like the one i played in jazz band in high school. it is similair in shape to the es345 and es330 but its not a thinline. it was prolly a '69-'75 but i dont really know for sure. i just remember this guitar being a dream to play and it would be awesome to track one down. thanks in advance for any help.

IF.....it was a Gibson, you might be referring to an ES-150DC.

2742081137_7ca9176d8a.jpg

Outstanding, im pretty sure it is a 150D. And, yes, it was a Gibson because when you played with the honors jazz band you got to play the Gibson (that was a big deal for me back then haha) Thank you so much, the variety of ES's gives me a headache.

Did the ES-150DC have a full depth body? I don't think so, but not 100% sure. Thought is was the same depth as a standard thinline semi-hollow body Gibson.

es150-walnut-1970_m.jpg

I wouldn't call 3" full depth. "Full" depth on a Gibson archtop is 3 3/8", so models like this, the Barney Kessel, the Johnny Smith, etc, are not "full" depth. Deeper than a standard thinline, though. :unsure:

Certainly not your grampa's ES-150. Great photos & thanks for sharing them. The catalog pix made it hard to see the body depth.

[thumbup] Yep! While the picture shows a nice example....It would not have been your Grandpas 'favorite'....nor mine....

I never liked the look of those 70's walnut-finished Gibsons....

RRod

• 2 weeks later...

I owned an ES150D back in the '80's. It was the walnut colored version and I bought it because it was only $450 and the music store let me put it on layaway. I never could get "attached" to it if you know what I mean. I've owned several Gibsons and this was the only one that was not a joy to play. And the sound wasn't anything to get excited about either. I traded it for a bass.

Archived