Gibson Brands Forums

A quick query

jdgm

Happy new year to all!

I recently took the plunge at age 57, and finally bought a truly beautiful Custom Shop Les Paul Custom 1956 reissue with P90s. I should have done it years ago, for I am very happy indeed with this fine, all-mahogany guitar, but despite reading all posts I can find on Custom Shop serial nos I am still slightly confused.

My guitar serial no is 691XXX. The 1st digit refers to original model year,(195)6.

Now - the 2nd digit is last number of year of production - 9. But the question is, is this 1999 or 2009?

Or is the 3rd digit also a year number, i.e. 1991? Don't think this is so from what I've read.

Many thanks to anyone who may be able to help!

post-38864-043912200 1326029712_thumb.jpg

Now - the 2nd digit is last number of year of production - 9. But the question is, is this 1999 or 2009?

It can be either or. Does the guitar have a certificate? If it's a small black certificate, it's a 2009.

Congrats, that's a very cool looking guitar. I've seen cherry R7 Customs but never an R6 with P-90s.

Beautiful Guitar!!! It could be either year but with that case, if original, it would be a 2009. The additional 1 in the serial number (third digit) is because the production had gone over 999 56 reissue guitars. That is another reason I think it is a 2009 and not a 1999. Call Gibson Customer Service number and give them the serial number and they will tell you for sure.

800-4GIBSON

Many thanks for your informative replies!

The guitar has the Gibson Custom Shop decal on the back of the headstock, and the same logo on the case.

In fact I bought this instrument last year on eBay, a bit risky because the vendor was in USA and I am in UK; however he put 50 very good photos up which sold me on it, plus I am familiar enough with eBay and guitars to have been confident enough to go ahead with the purchase. What he also said in the ad was that he thought it was manufactured in 1996 and has been shown at a NAMM; possibly the guy misinterpreted the number, or perhaps he was being a little 'economical with the truth'...! As you know, on eBay you take that possibility into account.

Having read your replies, I am inclined to think it is in fact 2009. There isn't a ding or scratch on it and no fretwear, which I think there would be if it had been made in 1999. In truth, it doesn't make much difference as it is a beautiful, very efficient guitar which oozes class and is everything I hoped it would be. These days I am old enough to realise that I am not just privileged but blessed to be able to play a musical instrument (I was a guitar teacher for nearly 12 years and many people who really want to just can't) and own wonderful guitars like this.

Interestingly, the bridge saddle for the bass E string has been cut a little wide by maybe 1/16 of an inch or less, and I think that was to line the string up totally with the pickup polepieces. It doesn't affect the playing or the way the string lays on the neck; but now I know Gibson string spacing must be slightly different to Fenders! And after looking at a few posts on these forums, I am going to raise those pickup polepieces on the bridge pickup a bit so the volume matches the neck one.

Also, I bought myself a set of Optima Gold strings 10-46 as an Xmas present. Well...I have to report that honestly (IMHO) the tone isn't as good/inspirational, bright and twangy as a set of plain old nickelwounds. A bit brassy in fact, better on acoustic guitar. Had to try a set though.

Thanks once again for your helpful replies!

By the way I didn't get a certificate of any sort - I hope that doesn't matter too much.

Here are a couple more small thumbnails. I haven't got Flikr, uTube or whatever together yet.

I must say I am having such fun playing this guitar I almost feel guilty!

The P90s - what a revelation, they have that lovely mid-range 'cough' and singing snarl when using overdrive, and the clean tones snap and ring - truly beautiful. I am very impressed by the tone/volume circuit too.

What's bugging me just a bit is that although I've been ultra-careful to keep the guitar well away from belt buckles, buttons and zips etc, there are now many, many small surface marks in the varnish. It happens with every guitar though, even polyurethane finished ones. And I swear I never hit the scratchplate so how did all those marks get there?

I am fortunate enough to own Fender, Vox and Park amps and I am really enjoying myself!

post-38864-025072900 1326580767_thumb.jpg

post-38864-063317500 1326580781_thumb.jpg

I think you should email Gibson customer service because it's odd to see a historic with a Custom Shop emblem on the back. Send those pictures to them and ask for whatever info they can provide you.

The COA matters and it doesn't matter. Some people will not buy a guitar without it, others will expect a lower price (about $200), others don't care.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still waiting and hoping to get some sort of reply about this.

After 10 days I have emailed Gibson Customer Service again.

Perhaps the nice helpful guy who is answering other serial no/inquiry threads on this forum very informatively would be able to help??

Archived