Gibson Brands Forums

1974 SG Special?

MadSG

Hello all,

Here are pix of what I've believe my baby to be, a 1974 SG Special/cherry finish. I bought this guitar 29 yrs ago from my friend who was the original owner and he always referred to it as a '73 SG. He couldnt recall which "model" it was. I assume from the mini hummers its a SG Special.

Guitar Dater.com shows 115019 serial number stamped in the headstock with "Made in USA" made in '70, '71 or '72....curious, no?

I checked the pots: 1377401 = 1st week 1974?

Don't '73 SG Specials have dot inlays and not blocks?

So is this a 1974 SG Special?

BTW, this s a wonderful guitar. Tight, fast neck with good tone and sustain. I always toyed with idea of replacing the pups, but I just couldnt bring myself to mess with it.(Although, I have always been curious how P-90s would sound!) I play it thru a Peavy Classic 30 tube amp. Love the warm bluesy tones.

As you can see, its got its share of nicks and such and the screw heads a kinda rusty, but after almost 40 yrs, she still plays like a dream. Guess it's time to save up and send her out for a weekend at the guitar spa.

Thanks for looking,

-Michael

post-16016-054240700 1326511837_thumb.jpg

post-16016-094509300 1326512104_thumb.jpg

Nice looking SG . B)

Interesting with the black minis.

And the narrow bridge (not the "harmonica").

According to Gibson, 100000 numbers were used 1970 to 1975 - http://www.gibson.com/Files/downloads/bluebook/GibsonSERIALNUMBERS.pdf

The pot codes put it 74 or early 75 - later in 75 Gibson changed their serials to eight digits.

I checked the pots: 1377401 = 1st week 1974?

Since the pots were made during the first week of 1974, it is VERY safe to say this guitar was assembled in 1974.

Don't '73 SG Specials have dot inlays and not blocks?

Not necessarily. 1973 was a "transition" year.

So is this a 1974 SG Special?

Yes, without any reasonable doubt.

Since the pots were made during the first week of 1974, it is VERY safe to say this guitar was assembled in 1974.

Not necessarily. 1973 was a "transition" year.

Yes, without any reasonable doubt.

Thanks guys, it's nice to know after all these years exactly what year my guitar was made. [thumbup]

BTW, do you see alot of these come thru here?

-Michael

Archived