Gibson Brands Forums

Which R9

neozecat

Hi,

I'm about to buy an R9.

I've got two choi

ces :

a 2007 flame teaburst with come with a set of stock PU, a set of Lollar Imperial PU, a set of Kloppmann PU and a Lifton case.

a 2009 flame leamonburst Yamano with stock PU and regular CS case

The two guitars are very beautiful. I can't choose between the two and I'm too far from sellers to test both R9.

If you were me what will be your choice and why ?

How can you expect anyone to make a suggestion with, at the very least, not even see each guitar? Contact both sellers, ask for the weight, general tonal description of each, and buy the one you like more. The two pros going for the 2009 are its nylon nut and audio taper pots. Corian nuts (pre-2009) often need a little work and can lead to tuning issue. Linear taper pots (again, pre-2009) are like on off tone switches. The tone sounds like is at 0 or it's at 10 with no in between. Pre-2009s also have rounder neck profiles. Yamanos typically have nicer tops and cost more.

How can you expect anyone to make a suggestion with, at the very least, not even see each guitar? Contact both sellers, ask for the weight, general tonal description of each, and buy the one you like more. The two pros going for the 2009 are its nylon nut and audio taper pots. Corian nuts (pre-2009) often need a little work and can lead to tuning issue. Linear taper pots (again, pre-2009) are like on off tone switches. The tone sounds like is at 0 or it's at 10 with no in between. Pre-2009s also have rounder neck profiles. Yamanos typically have nicer tops and cost more.

Here's the pics :

Yamano

1000679bb.jpg

Regular

dsc0009tx.jpg

Both got RS Kit

If all other factors are equal, I would get the Yamano. It "should" have a slightly higher resale in the future as the tops are known to be a slightly better and in more demand than a "standard" top. In this case, I just like the look of the Yamano better..

I'm digging the '07 Stanleyburst/Teaburst a lot. Why does it come with so many pickups? That would concern me. What tone was the original owner searching for that this fiddle couldn't provide?

Regardless, the tone in that one might be your tone. Make sure you get a 48 hour approval period and try them with your rig at home or at a rehearsal and see if either speak to you.

So the 2009 is sold, too late !

Warren Z, the 2007 is cheaper than the Yamano, so with he extra money I'll be able to buy to set of PU from the same seller, for the price pf the Yamano.

Sounds like a good deal. That '07 is killer to my eye. I love that flame and love that finish. The top has elements that make me think it's Eastern Maple which was used to make the original '59s. Did you pull the trigger???

I like the 2007 but I tell myself and if I was wrong ? Is a 2009, 2010 better than a 2007 ?

There is no correct answer to that question. That's why most of us own more than one (and you will too if you don't already!) :)

Good news of the day, the buyer of the Yamano did change his mind.

So that the seller did contact me.

The Yamano shoud be here in a couple of weeks. [woot]

Just out of curiosity, what makes a Yamano Lemonburst? I saw the pic and it's a beautiful guitar with a top that looked strangely familiar. Here is a pic of my 1997 CS Les Paul Elegant with a Butterscotch flame top. I don't know if it's a trick of the camera but they look the same to me.

Butterscotchbody.jpg

To identify à Yamano, you can take a look at the box, you should have a Y before the S/N and mention "Handpicked" :

2884689007_a1b787bbfd.jpg

If you don't have the box anymore, you can ask Gibson Service, they had a list and know wich one is a Yamano.

My guitar is 14-15 years old. It is not a Yamano, nor is it Lemonburst. I was just pointing out that the tops looked remarkably alike. Maybe Gibson has more names than colors.

My guitar is 14-15 years old. It is not a Yamano, nor is it Lemonburst. I was just pointing out that the tops looked remarkably alike. Maybe Gibson has more names than colors.

This is before 'Stanleyburst" became "Sunrise Tea Burst"

Archived