Gibson Brands Forums

Orlando Guitar Show This Weekend

j45nick

Nick....did you buy anything!!!???

I bought two buffalo hide guitar straps from Lakota Leathers. Kenny Bohling sells his blemished straps at shows for half price (he won't sell them to his dealers). Got a lovely dark chocolate one for my cherry '59 ES 335 Historic, and a tan one for my 'burst '68 ES 335-12. Both straps were chosen to match the fretboard colors (I'm so artistic [biggrin]). Buffalo is just unbelievably soft, by the way.

I'm the last of the big spenders.

But I did drool all over that 1934 Super 400 at $12,500.... Definitely did a bit of soul-searching there!

I bought two buffalo hide guitar straps from Lakota Leathers.

Those straps are eminent – I have the dark and the nougat brown for a couple of guitars. Remarkably soft, but give them a coat of grease and let them hang over night, then they really find groove.

Only minus is the front holes. Had to takes mine to the shoe-maker to get them sewed tight thus safe.

Those straps are eminent – I have the dark and the nougat brown for a couple of guitars. Remarkably soft, but give them a coat of grease and let them hang over night, then they really find groove.

Only minus is the front holes. Had to takes mine to the shoe-maker to get them sewed tight thus safe.

Thanks for the tips. I had the same concern about the holes, but figure there has to be a solution. The straps smell nice, too. Sounds like you may have gotten the same colors I did.

When you say "grease", what exactly did you use? Leather conditioner? Did you coat both the suede side and the finished side?

When you say "grease", what exactly did you use? Leather conditioner? Did you coat both the suede side and the finished side?

Mine are called chocolate and tobacco – dark/light. There is an even lighter which name I've forgotten. The grease is a caramel-colored non-transparent paste in a flat 'vintage' can I use for boots etc.

It's a local product, but I'm sure you have loads where you live. And talkin' 'bout smell – yes the grease have to smell right too.

I dig the ritual – there's something primal about it.

Btw. I colored the sides of the straps also. The leather showed a gray hue where it's cut, which was browned with leather-ink before the g-treat.

And no fat stuff on the suede side.

Archived