Gibson Brands Forums

2009 Gibson Custom ES-335 Finish

swampash

Hiya..

I recently gained possession of a 2009 Gibson Custom ES-335 in Cherry with the flamed maple underneath. Is this Guitar finished in nitro? I have a couple of wall hangers and Guitar stands that have rubber parts on them that are known to react badly with nitro.

I saw your pics in the Lounge.

She's a beauty. Love the red.

And yes - nitro. Generally nitro is pretty reactive with rubber, some foams, soft pliable plastics, some solvents and dyes. I buy stands that the manufacturer says are nitro safe, but I still use undyed cotton cloth to protect the contact points. Having seen a few posts with some particularly bad reactions at the stand/hanger contact points - I'm extra careful.

I saw your pics in the Lounge.

She's a beauty. Love the red.

And yes - nitro. Generally nitro is pretty reactive with rubber, some foams, soft pliable plastics, some solvents and dyes. I buy stands that the manufacturer says are nitro safe, but I still use undyed cotton cloth to protect the contact points. Having seen a few posts with some particularly bad reactions at the stand/hanger contact points - I'm extra careful.

Hey BK ... I just got my new 335 Dot-Reissue Figured Top. Is it a nitro finish also??? I'd flip the fart out if I got the 2 black streaks that won't come out of my very one of a kind 1998 B-Bender Telecaster. The Tele was one third the price of my new 335. Say it ain't so .... if ya can.

Hey BK ... I just got my new 335 Dot-Reissue Figured Top. Is it a nitro finish also??? I'd flip the fart out if I got the 2 black streaks that won't come out of my very one of a kind 1998 B-Bender Telecaster. The Tele was one third the price of my new 335. Say it ain't so .... if ya can.

335 - Nitro.

And some (not all) Fenders come with a nitro finish, my 52 Tele RI has nitro - you probably should check your BB Tele specs to make sure.

BTW, I saw your 335 and left a comment - that is a stunningly gorgeous flame top and the vintage sunburst looks fantastic.

335 - Nitro.

And some (not all) Fenders come with a nitro finish, my 52 Tele RI has nitro - you probably should check your BB Tele specs to make sure.

BTW, I saw your 335 and left a comment - that is a stunningly gorgeous flame top and the vintage sunburst looks fantastic.

Why ... THANK YOU ... thank you vury much! msp_thumbup.gif

My B-Bender is an American Standard 1998 (3 pup design) which was only out for the 1st half of the year before they re-named them to a 'Nashville' B-Bender. That, makes it a unique Tele in my posession. I bought it new then and immediately had the boring burst finish sanded down by a pro shop and had it painted TV Yellow in nitro from Re-Ranch supplies. So, it ain't the crummy burst color from Fender that burnt my butt, it was my very expensive, show quality nitro job that now sports the 2 black fork streaks on the bottom msp_cursing.gif.

FANTASTIC TIP on the NITRO FINISHES. Maybe it should be a 'sticky' note for everyone to see?

Archived