Gibson Brands Forums

Tribute Lp vs Prphecy

Classy-ness

For me, and the kind of music I like to play, the passive pickups make more sense. They seem to be more versatile, and have a character all their own.

If your style of music is heavily laiden with effects, the active pickups might be better.

I've owned both types and when you don't run effects, the active pickups seem a bit lifeless to me.

That's my opinion. Others will differ, I'm sure.

The Epi LP Tribute.......Why ???? 'Cause I know Les Pauls.....I own many of them......Many upgrade the pickups etc....This one already has the upgrades....

ie, real Gibby 57s.......Run this puppy through any WayHuge overdrive or Tech21 Character Pedal, or any tube or even a quality S.S. amp, you'll have

a top notch sounding Les Paul; Good for everything from folk, blues, rock, indie, to metal.........

The other choice; IMHO, nice guitar..........Good for metal only.............

For me, and the kind of music I like to play, the passive pickups make more sense. They seem to be more versatile, and have a character all their own.

If your style of music is heavily laiden with effects, the active pickups might be better.

I've owned both types and when you don't run effects, the active pickups seem a bit lifeless to me.

That's my opinion. Others will differ, I'm sure.

Yes on all counts! Passives have much more tone, and you don't have to worry about batteries dying or corroding. Actives have a very thin, sterile sound, which makes them good for massive distortion and effects, but not much good otherwise.

Those LP Tributes are nice.

So many threads on this lately...

Honestly? The prophecy is better looking. By miles.

However, I don't like the pickup selection. I prefer passives, even for metal. They sound warmer and they have character, something that EMGs lack IMO. I'd only go EMG for very heavy metal situations. Any guitar sounds pretty much the same with EMGs on it. It's not like EMGs are terrible pups, it's just that they're not what I want.

If I bought a prophecy (which I intend to at some point) I'd swap out the pups, no question. I'd probably use the EMGs on a less expensive guitar. (my Studio Gothic would look killer in EMGs, hmmm.... :-k )

So if it's "which guitar I'd play the way it is" I'd answer with the Tribute. But the one I want the most is the Prophecy - nobody here can deny, it wins the looks department by far. [wub]

Don't know why you would compare with the EX... the Prophecy GX comes with 490/489 pups. Or did I miss the point and you were asking about a comparison between active and passive pups? Aside from that, I agree with Aethyr... the Prophecy is gorgeous. A guitar store up here has the older model, in Black Cherry with the Dirty Fingers pups, on sale for $449 CAD... I'm thinkin, I'm thinkin...

And then I notice the sub-title... ](*,) Duh!

Archived