Gibson Brands Forums

any es347 fans

bluesdaddy57

That's extremely cool. In 1982 I was shopping for a serious thin body electric and narrowed my choices down to a new 347 and a '63 Gretsch Chet Atkins Country Gent. In the event I got the Chet, but I always regretted not buying the 347, despite the Bigsby on the Gretsch. I eventually sold Chester a year and a half ago, and recently bought a blond ES-335 dot. Now I see what I missed all those years: sensible controls, robust construction, and iconic good looks.

That's a great looker. How does it sound?

• 3 months later...

This is a beauty, worth more w/ King's signature. I see it has a metal nut. Mine doesn't as it is a later model. This guitar has held up well and sounds killer. The bridge is similar to the BB King, the TP-6 which is a functional piece for tuning. I spent a lot more for it, as mine was new. I wonder what they're worth now...hmmm?

Yeah if I could find one with the dirty fingers and all of the other bells and whistles I might buy one. I like the idea of a coil tap too.

Interesting... I recently replaced the dirty fingers on my ES 347 with Lindy Fralins and I really like the sound better now. Also, I am wondering if replacing the TP6 for a TP10 would give me more sustain or improve the sound somehow.

My guitar is just like the one in the first picture, except for that HUGE B.B. detail.

Cheers!

Interesting... I recently replaced the dirty fingers on my ES 347 with Lindy Fralins and I really like the sound better now. Also' date=' I am wondering if replacing the TP6 for a TP10 would give me more sustain or improve the sound somehow.

My guitar is just like the one in the first picture, except for that HUGE B.B. detail.

Cheers![/quote']

Are you certain that you want/need more sustain? I would expect an ES-347 to naturally sustain well. I actually like the way semi-hollows often have slightly softer attack and lesser sustain than say a Les Paul.

No, I am not certain about the sustain. I am just wondering if replacing that tailpiece would make a noticeable, nice difference. Anyway, I don't like the fine tuning. I took all the little black posts (sorry I don't know the name of that thing) off my TP6 and use it like a TP10 now. I guess I got traumatized because the first guitar I had in my life had a floyd rose.

Well, it's a nice, easy modification to try; you might want to seek out a lightweight stop tail. It may alter the sound a bit (though I can't imagine the effect being easily noticed). Surely, it would look better, and maybe shave off a couple ounces in weight.

• 10 months later...

I have 1979 347 sn#72329065. I bought it for $600 in 1989, had it refretted with jumbo's and put a pair of real 1959 humbuckers in it that I managed to get for $50. I got new gold covers wholesale for $12 from Gibson (thanks Chris Hansen at Cascio Music) and then let it sit in the case for 10 years "aging" after letting Louis Myers (Little Walter, Muddy Waters, Junior Wells, Aces) use it for a while.

It's now my regular work guitar, I parked the 70 LP Custom that Hubert Sumlin gave me.

http://www.facebook.com/#/video/video.php?v=1228935801306&ref=nf

Archived