Gibson Brands Forums

Question about Epiphone Zenith Fretless

JJMononoetoe

Hello there,

I have a question about the Epiphone Zenith Fretless bass guitar. I was really interested in this bass guitar (it looks and sounds beautiful!), but then started looking up some stuff about fretless guitars. I've read that on fretless guitars the strings have a tendency to damage the fretboard over time. I think Jaco Pastorius called it "eating up the fretboard". Now, I only intend to use flatwound strings on this bass (once I own one). I've read it isn't as bad with those strings.

Still, it has me a little worried. What can I expect with this bass guitar? Does it require a lot of maintenance?

Certainly flat-wound strings will not damage the fretboard nearly as much as round-wounds would. What wood is the fretboard? Ebony is the best and hardest wood typically used for fretboards, next best would be maple. Rosewood does not hold up as well. When you play your bass as much as Jaco did, I bet you'd get a lot of ruts in the FB, but that means hours of playing everyday over years. I wouldn't worry too much.

Thank you for your response.

I looked it up. The fretboard is made of rosewood. Is it a really big difference? Can damage be prevented by using flatwounds (which I will) and using a light touch?

@Daryl M:

Huh? Black Nylon strings? That's certainly interesting. How does that work with the magnetic pickups? :o (I'm thinking of 'nylon' strings as those on classical guitars)

I looked it up. The fretboard is made of rosewood. Is it a really big difference? Can damage be prevented by using flatwounds (which I will) and using a light touch?

@Daryl M:

Huh? Black Nylon strings? That's certainly interesting. How does that work with the magnetic pickups? :o (I'm thinking of 'nylon' strings as those on classical guitars)

They sound amazing. I love the nylons on this bass. I play bluegrass and this is the only bass I've ever played that gives me the sustain of an electric with the percussive 'thump' of an upright. Check out this demo from youtube.

@Daryl M:

the outer wrap is nylon, the core is steel.

Archived