Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Ultra III's Buzzing

MILogger

New member. First post. Great thread!

I have my heart set on an Ultra III for a host of reasons and I just tried two at my local dealer and was able to confirm they both had the problem of excessive string buzz that I'd read about on forums. The fifth and sixth strings buzzed all the way up and down the neck. I found a user at mylespaul who had his nanomag lowered by 3mm and this cured the buzzing, which would seem to confirm the theory that its magnet is pulling so much that it's causing stratitis vibration in the thicker fifth and sixth strings.

@Garball

However, I'm VERY intrigued to read your post, Garball, and your conclusion that your buzzing problem went away with heavier gauge strings - at least on the fifth and sixth. I'm guessing that the heavier gauge is another way to lessen the effect of the stratitis. This has turned me back onto the idea of getting an Ultra III since the prospect of a mod to lower the nanomag didn't appeal to me but experimenting with different strings is a lot easier.

One other odd thing I did notice about both Ultra III's I tried (both Midnight Ebony), the trim around the outside of the body was practically yellow as opposed to white (or eggshell or cream or whatever you call it). Does this sound right? Or were they sun damaged?! I was surprised that it was both of them.

Seems my local dealer gave their two Epi Ultra III's to their repair department to have properly set-up. Both are playing as I would expect they should. Seem the factory set-up on many were less than viable for even tuning the guitar without it buzzing all over. Unfortunately the big box stores and online retailers won't do set-ups like the smaller mom and pop stores before selling the guitar.

• 4 months later...

New member. First post. Great thread!

I have my heart set on an Ultra III for a host of reasons and I just tried two at my local dealer and was able to confirm they both had the problem of excessive string buzz that I'd read about on forums. The fifth and sixth strings buzzed all the way up and down the neck. I found a user at mylespaul who had his nanomag lowered by 3mm and this cured the buzzing, which would seem to confirm the theory that its magnet is pulling so much that it's causing stratitis vibration in the thicker fifth and sixth strings.

@Garball

However, I'm VERY intrigued to read your post, Garball, and your conclusion that your buzzing problem went away with heavier gauge strings - at least on the fifth and sixth. I'm guessing that the heavier gauge is another way to lessen the effect of the stratitis. This has turned me back onto the idea of getting an Ultra III since the prospect of a mod to lower the nanomag didn't appeal to me but experimenting with different strings is a lot easier.

One other odd thing I did notice about both Ultra III's I tried (both Midnight Ebony), the trim around the outside of the body was practically yellow as opposed to white (or eggshell or cream or whatever you call it). Does this sound right? Or were they sun damaged?! I was surprised that it was both of them.

New member, first post as well...although it looks like I'm really late to this party. I saw the same thing in some youtube responses to an Ultra III review, where a fellow said he lowered the Nanomag and made an additional piece of plastic to put over the magnets and this cured the buzzing. Of course, it weakened the Nanomags output as well. I like the idea of putting heavy strings on the E and A strings, although I wonder if over time that will affect the neck in some way.

I wonder, do the Ultra IIs have this same problem? This post seems to only focus on the IIIs. If funds ever allow, I would have liked to pick one of these guitars up, but I think for the cost of one of these, I'll probably put a Ghost system with both the acoustiphonic and hexpander setup in my 80 Les Paul standard (routed for Floyd, and a GREAT job too...I didn't do it, bought it that way). It's hard not to add another axe to the arsenal though, ha ha.

• 3 weeks later...

After having 3 of the ultra 3's ,and putting up with the fret buzz, I decided to lower the nanomag

And after adjusting the neck, all the buzz is gone,I did call Gibson and they were happy to send

Another guitar ,but after 3 and then playing some on the shelf I knew this was not going to fix it.

Having said that I love the guitar now.

Archived