Gibson Brands Forums

"67er" Flying V: proposal 4 PU change!?

rokka

Hi,

playin everything, blues, classic to modern rock,a bit metal but no country...

on my telly ive got a sd lil'59er in bridge and a quarterpounder in neck position....luv that combination!

Im searching for something like that but different ;) and a bit cheaper would be great!

bout the pics, im tryin to figure out how to post them, but they're all to big...so i'm keep tryin (some hints won't be wrong) ;)

greetz from Mozart's hometown

Im searching for something like that but different ;) and a bit cheaper would be great!

Welcome to the forums, a great bunch around here, I hope you like the place.

GFS make some fantastic pickups for those on a budget, I'm sure there'll be many suggestions on which would be the best for your situation.

Info on how to post pics without size restrictions is in the start of the DIY thread pinned to the top of the Epi Lounge, a great thanks to our dear departed animalfarm (RIP) who created it, a true testament to his willingness to help others.

DIY Thread

Nice V. Not sure what pickups you have on there, I assume they are the usual Asian Epi alnico humbuckers, which aren't bad, but can be improved on.

I got lucky and got a 1991 Gibby V at a good price a few years ago. It had ceramic humbuckers which were a bit harsh for my tastes - I play classic rock and blues too. It's had various pickups in it over the years, Kent Armstrong alnicos worked well and are cheaper than Gibsons or SDs. I currently have Epi Elitist pickups in it, made by Gibson USA and in my experience just as good, I wouldn't swap them.

I personally would not spend a lot on brand new Gibsons or SDs, I'd look around for secondhand ones at about half the price, stick to the alnico 2 or 5 magnets, and if you don't get a matched pair, make sure the bridge is a bit higher output than the neck (roughly 8 for the neck, 11ish for the bridge). If you see any Epi Elitist pickups, grab them.

Archived