Gibson Brands Forums

ES 335 Label and SN

jbear

Hi All,

Looking at ES335's and I came across one with a white label inside that says Gibson USA, ESDT 335, and the SN is 009XX582. There's nothing else printed on it. It's listed as a 2001. Can anyone help me with where this guitar was made and the story with the white label? All of the ones I've seen have had orange labels, but I have limited experience with the details of 335's.

Thanks in advance!

I was holding back as I'm not positive, but in some model numbers the D = dot makers and the T = figured top. Odd thing is that nomenclature usually only appears on the factory final check list in the model number field, not on the inside label. OTOH Gibson is known to swing on this stuff sometimes.

For instance, on the final check list for an LP you might see this in the model number field - LPS6GTNH1 = Les Paul Standard, 60's Neck, Gold Top, Nickel Hardware, '1' signifies that it is not b stock or a 2nd.

Thanks for the reply.

Mostly I am interested in the city of origin and the "white label thing" as I've only seen orange in the past.

I was holding back as I'm not positive, but in some model numbers the D = dot makers and the T = figured top. Odd thing is that nomenclature usually only appears on the factory final check list in the model number field, not on the inside label. OTOH Gibson is known to swing on this stuff sometimes.

For instance, on the final check list for an LP you might see this in the model number field - LPS6GTNH1 = Les Paul Standard, 60's Neck, Gold Top, Nickel Hardware, '1' signifies that it is not b stock or a 2nd.

The label should have the city and state at the bottom. I'm not really up on labels, but isn't a white label from a number of years ago? Gibson changes color from time to time.

And that serial should be all numbers.

Here's a label from an acoustic - city & state at the bottom -

2004_Gibson_Nick_Lucas_03424048_label.jpg

Should have an 8 digit serial - looks like maybe the seller scratched the middle numbers in the jpg to protect the serial#. If it's a 2001 then the serial would be 009X1582 (YDDDYRRR). The X could only change the day made by 10 days at the most. So the guitar was probably made in early April of 2001 in Nashville.

Here's a 2001 at Music Zoo you can see a bit of the same label - http://www.themusiczoo.com/product/6426/2001-Gibson-ES-335-Dot-Rootbeer/ -

ES335_Dot_Rootbeer_01321575_1.jpg

Thanks very much for that.

I actually used Photoshop to keep the SN semi-anonymous for the seller.

It's a really pretty flamed VSburst guitar.

Should have an 8 digit serial - looks like maybe the seller scratched the middle numbers in the jpg to protect the serial#. If it's a 2001 then the serial would be 009X1582 (YDDDYRRR). The X could only change the day made by 10 days at the most. So the guitar was probably made in early April of 2001 in Nashville.

Here's a 2001 at Music Zoo you can see a bit of the same label - http://www.themusiczoo.com/product/6426/2001-Gibson-ES-335-Dot-Rootbeer/ -

ES335_Dot_Rootbeer_01321575_1.jpg

I don't think that Gibson was using white labels on the ES-335s in 2001. I believe that they were using white labels with the bullet design in the 70s.

At the bottom of the label it should indicate either Nashiville, TN or Memphis, TN. If it was made in Nashville and made by GCS then the serial number would be A-3YRRR (Y=Year, R=Run number). If is not Custom Shop but Gibson USA then it would have an orange label with Nashville at the bottom and follow the standard numbering scheme in 2001 which was YDDDYRRR (Y= production year, DDD=day of the year, R=run number). So in the number you indicated, the second X should be a "1" and the first X would be where after the first 90 days it was made.

If it was made in Memphis, it would still follow the same 8 digit pattern. Gibson changed to a 9 digit pattern in 2005

The way I have seen that model listed in the past was ES-335DT and not ESDT-335

Just my 2 cents worth...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everybody.

I am the happy owner recently of one '96 335 but I wanted to know which model it is exactly because I found many references when I try to find it on web.

I can also communicate you photos, serial number as well as figures noted on the small card of control of the factory which was given to me with if that can help you.

Sorry for my approximate English, I am French. :unsure:

Archived