Gibson Brands Forums

Epi Classic/Classic Plus Pickups in Action...

JamGuy

As I mentioned some time back, I swapped out the pups that were in my G400 and put them in the Cort Source I reworked and wired. Not too shabby other than losing the plot a few times during my jam. Anyhow, in case anyone's wondering about swapping these pups out of a stock Epi, I don't think it's a mandatory move. I think they have potential to sound just fine. The stock pickups were very dark sounding in the neck, and while the Epi bridge pup is a little thin sounding to my ears, given what a pain in the a** it is to rewire a semi hollowbody, they're gonna work just fine for me! Perhaps I just need to raise it a smidge. Cheers, JG.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5kn9Vuvn8I&feature=youtu.be

For that style music they sound great. For rock\hard rock\metal I think theyre atrocious and couldnt wait to remove them from my SG. But there's that age old argument about tone and all.

Good point... I think they are much better suited for this guitar than my G400... I really like the Duncan 59/ Custom 5 combo for the SG.... ah yes, the subjectivity of tone. It's keeping dozens of pickup/parts manufacturers in business though eh... [biggrin]

JamGuy--that was really cool! Good tone--of course everything sounds good through a Twin! Those pickups really sound good--I used to get almost exactly the same tone in the late-'60's with a '68 Gibson SG Standard through a '67 Bandmaster amp, no pedals--I couldn't afford 'em! What's really spooky is that you sound a lot like I did back then, right down to some of the same licks. My big influences in those days were Eric Clapton, Mike Bloomfield, Jerry Garcia, and John Cipollina, and I was in a band where I had to extend every solo so we'd have enough material to get through the gig. Jamming for days! I didn't think anybody played that way anymore. Took me back. Nice job!

JamGuy--that was really cool! Good tone--of course everything sounds good through a Twin! Those pickups really sound good--I used to get almost exactly the same tone in the late-'60's with a '68 Gibson SG Standard through a '67 Bandmaster amp, no pedals--I couldn't afford 'em! What's really spooky is that you sound a lot like I did back then, right down to some of the same licks. My big influences in those days were Eric Clapton, Mike Bloomfield, Jerry Garcia, and John Cipollina, and I was in a band where I had to extend every solo so we'd have enough material to get through the gig. Jamming for days! I didn't think anybody played that way anymore. Took me back. Nice job!

Thanks... yeah, despite being in my 30's I often joke that my musical soul grew up in the 60's. I've listened to so much Dead over the years it just seeps in, regardless of whether I'm trying to play like Jerry or not... and my pedal assortment and settings are very Jerry-centric. I'm not in a band currently, I just don't have time, so I spend a lot of my free music time just laying down loops and jamming over them. Some are little snippets of Dead songs and some are just things I make up. Funny, I love Grant Green too and listen to him often... I wish some of that would start wearing off on me!

For that style music they sound great. For rock\hard rock\metal I think theyre atrocious and couldnt wait to remove them from my SG. But there's that age old argument about tone and all.

Well, they're the "Classics" so that is to be expected... And tbh I think they would cope with rock just fine... Metal kind of demands a completely different pickup style though.

Archived