Gibson Brands Forums

Need Help Choosing New LP Pickups

JazzGtr

Here's my problem.

I love my Gibson Custom LP stock 490 and 498 pickups for rock and blues tones. But it would be nice to keep the same tones along with adding single coil capabilities.

So, the question is, does Gibson or any other manufacturer makes a humbucker with single coil tapping capabilities that sounds good?

Jazz,

B)

I eventually decided to go with a pair of P94's (P94R, P94T).

At first, I hated them. But once I accepted that the P94 pups were a different kind of animal I started to warm up to them. Additionally, after spending a day dialing in the right guitar's volume, tone and amp's EQ settings, I love them more than the original stocked 490's pups.

The P94 sounds meatier than a Strat's single coil pup but a lot louder and clearer than the 490's humbucker pups. The P94's output is higher that both kinds of pups according to the specs. The differences are not subtle either. But the nicer thing about having the P94's with my Gibson Custom LP is that they look like stock humbucker pups and they sound way, way better than the originals. The differences in tone allows me to turn down the amp volume, turn down the treble (these pups have a lot of bite), increase the mids, turn down the gain and lower the bass. The new EQ settings compared to the old humbucker settings not only sounds cleaner and meaner, but it also allows for some serious LP man-handling at lower settings. Also, I like using my EFXs with the P94s, especially the WAH WAH. With the humbuckers I rarely used my EFX pedals. In fact I rarely played my LP as much. But that's going to change in the future.

Playing the Blues, Rock and Fusion sounds so much more articulate at low levels that it is such a pleasure compared to cranking up the old Marshall amps.

In short, which pups do I now prefer? P94's, period!

Enough said.

Jazz,

[thumbup]

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my problem.

I love my Gibson Custom LP stock 490 and 498 pickups for rock and blues tones. But it would be nice to keep the same tones along with adding single coil capabilities.

So, the question is, does Gibson or any other manufacturer makes a humbucker with single coil tapping capabilities that sounds good?

Jazz,

B)

When you buy the 490R and 498T packaged separately, they come with 4 conductor wires. The 490R and 498T which are factory installed in the Les Paul Custom only have two conductor wires.

Archived