Gibson Brands Forums

Do you oil your tuners?

Lee M

My 1993 Gospel has enclosed "Gibson Deluxe" tuners. They look like Klusons and have a tiny hole right above where I suspect the gears meet. I don't think I've ever oiled them. Should I put a drop of 3-in-1 oil in there? They are not as smooth as the tuners on my Larrivee but that could be the design or age.

My 1993 Gospel has enclosed "Gibson Deluxe" tuners. They look like Klusons and have a tiny hole right above where I suspect the gears meet. I don't think I've ever oiled them. Should I put a drop of 3-in-1 oil in there? They are not as smooth as the tuners on my Larrivee but that could be the design or age.

Don't use oil. Use a dry lubricant like TriFlow. Frankly, unless the tuners are ancient, have been exposed to a lot of dust, or they are rusted, they shouldn't really need lubricating. As a precaution against contamination of adjacent finished surfaces, I always remove the tuners from the guitar when lubricating them. Takes less than a minute per tuner to remove them.

Generally, if they are to the point they need lubricating--stiff operation is the primary symptom--you should flush out the old dried lubricant before adding more. I remove the tuner from the guitar and flush it with naptha through the lube hole (using a small glue syringe, available at any marine store). Let it dry thoroughly before lubing. Lube it, and wipe off any excess on the outside with naptha. Although I don't know if it could cause a problem, I try to keep it off plastic tuner buttons.

While the tuners are off, I clean the inside of the tuner bushings in the peghead using naptha on a cotton Q-tip.

Archived