Gibson Brands Forums

the best thing to clean a black Custom??

DirtyTony

I use Gibson polish quite often. Never had a problem and the Antique Pelham Blue finish on my custom looks great. I have the restoration kit and plan to use it on my SG (Antique Black Cherry) because it's a dark finish and every fingerprint, sweat stain, smudge shows on it. I'll let you know how it works. I don't know about the silicone. I'll read the label and ask around also.

You can get microfiber polishing cloths at Home Depot or Lowe's. 3M sells them under their Norton brand (so you'll find it in the sandpaper aisle believe it or not). The yellow ones are nice, the blue ones work well for guitars as well, and the red ones aren't bad. Kind of like tiny terrycloth. They work dry to clean the guitar when you play it, and the blue ones work well with a little spritz of your favorite pump polish. Since nobody's mentioned it, I like the Martin polish that's made by Guardsman, and I notice the Planet Waves stuff smells like cinnamon. Can't go wrong if you're wiping it with anything at all short of a Buffalo-wing sauce stained napkin.

Archived