Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul custom cracked neck/upgrades

jjPWM

I have an epiphone les Paul custom that I haven't played in about a year because the neck got cracked falling off stage during a load out. I picked up a gibson sg faded, which I love, to replace it. I recently started doing some research into fixing the neck myself and decided to try and fix it on my own. I have everything I need (gorilla glue, clamps, etc) but I would like some advice on actually doing it. Any pointers would help.

Also, I'm thinking about upgrading all the hardware and everything over to Gibson parts. (tuning pegs, pots, bridge, etc) I'm not a huge fan of the gold on black finish that I have, I'd much prefer silver. Any pointers as far as upgrading would be useful too.

Thanks for taking the time to read and respond to this :)

I only have experience in carpentry and upholstery as far as glue goes,but i would not advise using gorilla glue as it swells. I did have an acoustic neck reglued by professional and im pretty sure he used wood glue vs gorilla glue.Just my two cents.Good luck /w repairs.

Last neck repair I did, I used TiteBond. Works like a charm. Get a few ratchet clamps with soft jaws as well.

We re-did my son's Custom with a P94 neck and a 498T Bridge, CTS 500k pots, Orange Drop resistors, Switchcraft 3-pos switch and output Jack, Good Quality wires and Kluson Vintage tuners.

Now a MONSTER tone guitar!

I'm no expert, but have read a lot of guitar forums over the years, and Titebond is what I recall being mentioned most often for neck repairs.

I have not been impressed with Gorilla glue in the applications where I have used it.

I took the clamps off this morning and sanded the extra glue. You can see there was a crack but can't feel anything and the neck is perfectly level after I adjusted the truss rod, so for the time being I'm happy.

Just gotta deal up where I sanded and it's good to go :)

Archived