Gibson Brands Forums

Stupid Strap Questions

duluthdan

For most of my 35 years on again off again guitar playing, I've been playing sitting on my butt. Besides trying to learn how to use a flatpick, I'm trying to get comfortable standing up when I practice, and when I play.

One stupid question... which end of the strap attaches to the lower bout, and which end then to the upper bout? The straps have an adjustable side (skinny) and a wide side (fat). Bought all my guitars used, and they all have strap buttons.

Second stupid question... how does one approach adjusting the length to get comfortable? Can I use the same strap, without re-adjusting, on my J-45 and my D-28?

Just trying to get off my butt.

I've always put the fat side on the lower bout pin, maybe because the straps are set up to do that when attaching to the headstock instead of an upper bout button. I think the skinnier end also works better with most heel button arrangements and the fat side gives good support for the lower bout, esp if you like tilting the neck upward as I do.

You can experiment and see if the same strap will fit multiple guitars without adjustment. If the body shapes are very different you are probably going to want more than one strap and dedicate straps to certain instruments. I have two or three straps lying around and that seems to work for me. I was able by watching the price of Levy's straps on Amazon for a week or two to pick up some nice suede straps at very reasonable prices. They have some sort of automated program that is constantly re-jiggering prices and if you observe for a while you'll see some good bargains.

One more thing if you are a strap novice: don't use any strap containing vinyl on a nitro-finished guitar like Gibson acoustics! Don't! Nitro finish = Superman, Vinyl = Kryptonite. Get a nice leather strap (or perhaps all cotton).

Glad you are expanding your attack to picks and straps. There are more than a few 'styles' of straps and a few more methods of attaching them. Obviously Rule One is that the guitar not become unattached! Sometimes the pins and the strap holes aren't made for each other. Padded straps are nice, cloth woven ones will actually fit in the guitar case. Getting your guitar to the right height for comfortable playing is a matter of constantly repeating the adjustments to wherever /however it is attached. Sometimes it is a matter of choking up on a lace you are using on the headstock. Sometimes you have to take the strap off and dis-assemble it and put it back on. G'luck.

The picture above is of the suede leather strap I acquired to use. Attach fat end to the end pin, and the skinny part to the pin on the upper bout - that I get now, thanks. But... there are approximately 256 possible length combinations - I'm try to duplicate, as closely as possible the same guitar position as when I'm sitting and playing - any tips ? I've been experimenting for 3 nights now, and the closest I've come leaves about six inches of the skinny strap dangling, because it uses the middle button hole (hope that makes sense). Maybe I just settle on one, and practice like that until it comes as natural as playing G Major ? Good tip on the nitro finish by the way - never even thought to think that far ahead.

I don't know if the picture shows the current state of the strap, but the way it is set up in the photo is the longest configuration of the strap, ie the skinny part is looped through the two slots in the fat part which are furthest from the button hole at the end of the fat portion. If you move the skinny part to loop through the two slots closest to the button hole for the fat part (and finally back up through the final slot so the two parts stay together), that would be the shortest configuration of the strap. I am beginning to wonder if you are putting us on here. This ain't rocket science. Examine the attachment of the two portions of the strap and the proper adjustment should come to you.

Here is a diagram:

Levys diagram

Archived