Gibson Brands Forums

Pickup installed and...Wow!

thejtl

I got my AJ back today from getting the endpin installed for the Baggs M1A I bought. The whole install cost me $18!!!!

So I came home and plugged it into my Acoustic AG30 (not the best amp, I know but I got it for $160 and it sounds pretty decent. Pretty great actually. At least comparable to my SWR Cali Blonde from years gone by and a fraction of the cost.). Very impressed with the M1A. Natural sounding at first listen, like the guitar only louder, as they say. I could play as I would normally play and not feel as though I was losing any subtly or that I had to force a tone from the guitar.

So I putzed around with it for a while and then I decided to pull out my '97 Martin D-15, which I've had since it was new and had a Fishman Natural I Active installed when I bought it. I've loved this guitar ever since I got it, but haven't played it much in the last couple years.

I wanted to see how the Natural I stacked up to the M1A. In short, it didn't. For many years I have gotten compliment after compliment about how great the Martin sounds plugged in. i've toured the US and UK and soundmen everywhere have praised that guitar and pickup combo . The M1A/AJ combo blew it away. The Fishman sounded 2 dimensional. Just flat. I couldn't even hear the light but effective reverb and delay I'd had sweetening the Gibson/M1A combo. It was like driving a Saab 9-3 and then driving a Corolla; neither are bad cars, but the Corolla suffers greatly when compared to a much better designed, more powerful vehicle.

Of course, they are totally different pickup systems. One is a piezo (Fishman), and one is a soundhole humbucker (M1A) but technological differences aside, what matters is sound and the M1A won going away.

Wow. I can't wait for the couple gigs I have this coming week. If the M1A and the AJ respond as well in a live setting as they did in a really laid back comparison, I've really found the holy grail of my acoustic tone.

Wow, thats interesting. I had an M1a that just had a horrible, sort of a phasey, unatural tone. I sent it back to Baggs, they sent me another one and had a very similar situation.

I bought a Fishman rare earth blend soundhole pickup and have not had same problem. I wonder what i was doring wrong, probably should have adjust more the pole pieces.

I do like the look of the M1a though, cool and retro looking, but sounded herrible, at least in my case. Glad to hear its working for you !

Yeah, I've read a few reviews of folks having trouble with this pup and I don't know why it would happen. Mine's rockin' One thing to remember is the pole pieces are adjustable and from guitar to guitar will need to be futzed with. I need to dial down the low E pole on mine. I'm gonna dial it in tonight or tomorrow in prep for Sunday's gig. Can't wait.

Now if I could just get my back straightened out. Woke up this AM all out of whack.

Archived