Gibson Brands Forums

String advice

Shadowman

Hi guys , My wife bought a Takamine acoustic guitar. Weve had it a year and a half now,its not a real exspensive guitar and the strings are probably even cheaper so, I would like to put some better strings on it so it might play a little easier , would good strings help? the action seems high. Any size and type string advice would be great. Thanx

If your action is high now it will be high with what ever string you put on and still making a little hard to play. I suggest having the guitar setup first and stay with what was probably on it 12s. The setup will address the high action. If you never done this type of work on a guitar it is best done by an expert and usually runs about $70, but if the setup is done right you won't believe it the same guitar when you get it back. Hope that helps.

Wow, I just can't imagine a guitar that you can't adjust the truss bar. Well you still might be able to lower the saddle a bit to improve action, but if that's not an option either, then D'Addario extra light strings may help some. Could you provide the model number?

On most takamines the truss rod is under the soundboard if you look in the soundhole at the neck you should see it there

Found it [thumbup] Thanx , I would have never looked there. Once I get the neck a little straighter , what size strings should I use Something a little lighter maybee so its easier to push down on the frets for my wife? (and me) Thanx again all who replied.

Found it [thumbup] Thanx , I would have never looked there. Once I get the neck a little straighter , what size strings should I use Something a little lighter maybee so its easier to push down on the frets for my wife? (and me) Thanx again all who replied.

You should still consider having the guitar set up by a guitar tech. They can assess if the Saddle and nut also needs to be adjusted once the neck has been adjusted. A nice string would be Martin extra light M170 strings.

Archived