Gibson Brands Forums

Late '50's ES 330 reissue

AlanC

It really reflects badly on Gibson to market in this manner.

Alan - Ten to one the problem here is your dealer, not Gibson. Your dealer has to know that guitar is not the brand new model, because they would have only recently ordered & received the new '59 version, and most likely they've had this particular 330L in stock for a while. As for the 330L, it is a wonderful guitar. I happen to have a blue one, and for me, the 30/60 neck is the most comfortable of any guitar I own. Now factor in the enhanced fretboard access, and honestly, the 330L is something you should continue to keep in your sights. Reserve your final judgement for when you actually have the new version in hand. Btw, the 330L remained in production through 2011, and has only recently been discontinued (to make way for the new model, one would imagine). Okay, all of that said, now you need to hold your dealer accountable & pay a fair price or return the guitar. FWIW, in the USA, a new 330L sells for $2499.

1331624589[/url]' post='1148403']

Alan - Ten to one the problem here is your dealer, not Gibson. Your dealer has to know that guitar is not the brand new model, because they would have only recently ordered & received the new '59 version, and I'm guess they've had that 330L in stock for a while. As for the 330L, it is a wonderful guitar. I happen to have a blue one, and for me, the 30/60 neck is the most comfortable of any guitar I own. That plus the enhanced fretboard access make the 330L something you should keep in your sights, as the new version may or may not be more to your liking. Note that for the record, the 330L was in production through 2011, and has only recently been discontinued. Okay, all of that said, now you need to hold your dealer accountable & pay a fair price. FWIW, in the USA, a new 330L sells for $2499.

Yeah my dealer is not Gibson. Nevertheless he had it imported from Gibson when I placed the order which is only two weeks ago. It arrived within days of the order being placed which amazed me. However he did ask for the 50's reissue and that's what they sent. Price wise I got really dudded.

Haven't said all of this the guitar is a great guitar and I like it a lot. But I wanted the late 50's reissue and that's what I paid for. So I will exchange it for what I wanted. Unfortunately it's not a guitar I can afford to have 2 of. Leaves a real sour taste in my mouth.

Yeah, it sounds like a dealer oversight. I'm sure they just ordered a 330 and that's what Gibson sent. On the bright side you should have a good amount of money coming back to you and if you like the 330L (I sure do) you might want to think about just saving the money and keeping a guitar that it sounds like you're already bonding with. That said I know how it s to have yourself set on something and not want to "settle", however the 330L is a great guitar, but yeah, the build quality will probably be higher on 59 reissue and it does have all the upgraded parts, bumblebee's, 500k pot (actually the 330L might have those too) and all the bells and whistles like the vos finish, the aged binding and the tortoise shell side markers. I will say that I personally like the playability of the L's upper register a little better, but for a lot of 330 purists, the long neck did denote a a change for the worse in the 330, tonally it makes a difference, I've heard, as the original higher neck join is more resonant. Keep us all posted and sorry you had to have a new guitar debacle. It's never fun, but if you do end up with the 59, at least you got to have 2 amazing guitars, even if you have this one for just over a week.

1331653850[/url]' post='1148649']

Yeah, it sounds like a dealer oversight. I'm sure they just ordered a 330 and that's what Gibson sent. On the bright side you should have a good amount of money coming back to you and if you like the 330L (I sure do) you might want to think about just saving the money and keeping a guitar that it sounds like you're already bonding with. That said I know how it s to have yourself set on something and not want to "settle", however the 330L is a great guitar, but yeah, the build quality will probably be higher on 59 reissue and it does have all the upgraded parts, bumblebee's, 500k pot (actually the 330L might have those too) and all the bells and whistles like the vos finish, the aged binding and the tortoise shell side markers. I will say that I personally like the playability of the L's upper register a little better, but for a lot of 330 purists, the long neck did denote a a change for the worse in the 330, tonally it makes a difference, I've heard, as the original higher neck join is more resonant. Keep us all posted and sorry you had to have a new guitar debacle. It's never fun, but if you do end up with the 59, at least you got to have 2 amazing guitars, even if you have this one for just over a week.

Hi Tiny,

Firstly, I want to say thankyou for picking it up. I was of the mistaken view that I had purchased a late 50's reissue. I agree that the 330L is really good and mine seems great but the reason I bought this guitar was to get the reissue. Disappointing experience but I'm hopeful that the dealer and Gibson will make good. We'll see and I'll update what happens.

I would be interested in anyone who owns a Late 50's reissue ES 330 sharing with us their views of the guitar.

I would be interested in anyone who owns a Late 50's reissue ES 330 sharing with us their views of the guitar.

Go to the Les Paul Forum > Other Gibsons. There you'll see a recent comparison of the new 2012 ES-330 vs a vintage 1960 ES-330. This is the most currently active thread on the new 330, but if you go back a ways, there are a few more threads re the '59 reissue. Best of luck in your 330 quest!

Go to the Les Paul Forum > Other Gibsons. There you'll see a recent comparison of the new 2012 ES-330 vs a vintage 1960 ES-330. This is the most currently active thread on the new 330, but if you go back a ways, there are a few more threads re the '59 reissue. Best of luck in your 330 quest!

Thanks mate. Really appreciate your help.

The next development in this saga is that Gibson have agreed to replace my ES 330 with a Late 50's reissue for no additional $'s. I just hope that the reissue plays as good as the 330 that I just got cos it's a beauty. Sad to exchange it but ...... no real choice.

Thanks mate. Really appreciate your help.

The next development in this saga is that Gibson have agreed to replace my ES 330 with a Late 50's reissue for no additional s. I just hope that the reissue plays as good as the 330 that I just got cos it's a beauty. Sad to exchange it but ...... no real choice.

That's amazing! You're getting a top of the line vintage spec reissue for the price of a regular modern version. You've won, sir!!

Anyone have a link to this? I couldn't find it. thanks!

1331838438[/url]' post='1150632']

That's amazing! You're getting a top of the line vintage spec reissue for the price of a regular modern version. You've won, sir!!

Thanks TBB but actually I'm not sure that it's much of a win. Firstly the reason that Gibson is not charging me anymore is because I actually paid for the Late 50's ES 330 even though I didn't get one. The other real frustration for me is that I hate to part with the guitar that I've got because its really nice. Overall I don't feel like a winner just very frustrated.

What I'm worried about is that the Late 50's guitar that I get may not be as good as the guitar I'm about to send back. Anyway I'm prepared to take that risk.

Thanks TBB but actually I'm not sure that it's much of a win. Firstly the reason that Gibson is not charging me anymore is because I actually paid for the Late 50's ES 330 even though I didn't get one. The other real frustration for me is that I hate to part with the guitar that I've got because its really nice. Overall I don't feel like a winner just very frustrated.

What I'm worried about is that the Late 50's guitar that I get may not be as good as the guitar I'm about to send back. Anyway I'm prepared to take that risk.

Hey Alan, it's always a possibility, sure, but from what I've been reading the new 59's are absolutely the bee's knees, cat's pajamas, top of the line incarnation of the 330. It's what everyone that is into 300's has been waiting for for literally years and years. The one thing is the neck, though. The neck I've heard, although I haven't seen or played one myself, but the neck is supposed to be huge. That said if it is, indeed, like a real 59, it should be pretty darn awesome. I am not a baseball neck kind of guy. At all. And I played a vintage '59 330 single pickup at a Guitar Center near my house and the neck felt great. I sometimes wonder if the neck profiles and their descriptions differ from Les Pauls to es's. For instance, I cannot play a 58 les paul reissue. The neck is just way to massive, yet, on the vintage 330 I played and also on a very chunky 64 335, the neck have felt fantastic. Maybe it's the necks, maybe the bodies, but for some reason bigger necks on ES's feel so much more manageable and yes! even comfortable to me at least. Good luck. When did they say you'll get it?

Archived