Gibson Brands Forums

My new(used) Marshall 4001 Amp

truetone6

I got this amp a couple of weeks ago. It is Marshall Studio 15 and it's It's my first Marshall tube amp. It was made in 1987. It's sorta like a 15 watt JCM800, great for playing at home! It has a headphone jack that also works as an attenuator.You just have unplug the internal 12" speaker and plug it back into the the headphone jack if you want to jam at low volume.

DSCF2160-3-1.jpg

DSCF2193.jpg

DSCF2199-2.jpg

DSCF2203.jpg

ad.jpg

That's a cool little amp I'm not familiar with that model at all in fact I've never heard of it.Does that Output Level control act as a Master Volume? If that control in fact acts as a Master Volume then the amp would be a 15W version of the 4010 but it isn't classified as a JCM 800,in order for it to do that,it would have to be 50 or 100W.

I just found some info in my trusty Marshall files-after all like any true Marshall Freak I do need them.

The 4001-Studio 15 was the first Marshall amp to use the 12" Vintage 30,the first and only Marshall to use 6V6 output tubes,the first Marshall to have a built in attenuator which enabled it to be the first tube amp to include a headphone jack,which allowed you to plug the speaker into the headphone jack to get full power tube distortion at a low output volume.Unfortuneately it was only made from 1986-92.All in all you have made a gret find!

Archived