Gibson Brands Forums

Modified Epi SG Special

w1av

Hi,

I posted back in January about the Epiphone SG Special I found at Guitar Center in town. I was wandering around and happened to notice behind some other guitars, a little dark black cherry red SG sitting there....Anyway I traded a Tele copy for it and it is one great guitar. I was never a fan of the Specials, but this one is mighty fine. I did replace the pickups a few weeks ago with a set of Seymour Duncan hot rodded humbuckers. I put 'em in myself and what a TONE MONSTER!!!! There's an SH-2 Jazz in the neck and an SH-4 in the bridge. A PERFECT combination. I was mulling over what pickups I was going to get. I didnt want anything too hot or too "regular" sounding. I wanted pickups with a little more high end. These did the trick. The stock neck pickup was OK but still a little too muddy for my tastes. So after researching for a few days I decided to go with the Duncans. The tone is beautiful...nice, clear and more high end. Actually this is my favorite guitar. I also have a Gibson SG Special with P90's and an Epiphone Junior with a single dog ear P90. Sometimes I play my Jay Turser JT 130 semi hollow body. and I have an Xaviere LP clone......but my little Special is always on the guitar holder right next to my desk. I have a Fender Super Champ XD right by my side for those emergency "Gotta play" times. Anyway here is a little pic of the modded SG......sorry for the tiny size....

post-20641-030955300 1332455729_thumb.jpg

Archived