Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone 1984 explorer ex eb PROBLEM!!!

nerone

hello, i am new on this forum , and i am playing guitar about 1-2 years now , i play metal thras etc..

But i cant play beacuse i have a problem with my guitar ,

i own this guitar 3 months, but this guitar disappoint me , because of incredible freet buzzing in normal setup, and also in any setup i did , i tried everything, i read 100 manuals for setup, i tried any .mm for relief , i tried any setup of tune-o-matic action , i changed many brands of strings, etc..

strings are buzzing when i play the freets (5-6-7-8-9-12-11-12-13-14-15..) and INCREDIBLE buzzing in harmonic freets...

the nut seems to be ok , also the freet leveling , but maybe the bridge is the problem ?

what i should to do ? maybe change bridge ? or what ?

sorry for my bad english guys.. and thank you

Welcome to the forum.

Buzzing in the middle frets is usually caused when the neck is back bowed, it needs more relief. To check, fret the low E string at the first fret and the fret just past where the neck joins the body (about 17th), halfway between them (about 7th or 8th fret) there should be a gap of about 0.5mm, about the thickness of a business card, between the bottom of the string and the top of the fret. If there's no gap or the gap is smaller than this the neck needs more relief.

Welcome to the forum.

Buzzing in the middle frets is usually caused when the neck is back bowed, it needs more relief. To check, fret the low E string at the first fret and the fret just past where the neck joins the body (about 17th), halfway between them (about 7th or 8th fret) there should be a gap of about 0.5mm, about the thickness of a business card, between the bottom of the string and the top of the fret. If there's no gap or the gap is smaller than this the neck needs more relief.

Yes i did that, i tried with 0.5mm and also with 0.3mm gap, but i have still buzzing, especialy in harmonic frets..

what is the E/e action at the 12th fret, measured from top of fret to the bottom of the string?

well , when i tried with standart action it was ( 1.5mm in e , and 2.00mm in E ) and i had incredible freet buzzing..

now i have to high action ( about 2.00 e, and 2.7 -2.9mm in E ) and still i have freet buzzing :(

i am so disappointed guys :( i loved so much this guitar , and i have it 3 months, and i didnt play even about a 1 minute :(

Yes i did that, i tried with 0.5mm and also with 0.3mm gap, but i have still buzzing, especialy in harmonic frets..

If it's still buzzing with the relief set to 0.5mm then probably either the frets need levelling or the neck is twisted, something would have to be wrong with it.

EDIT" how close are your pickups to the strings, if they're too close they maybe having too much of a magnetic influence on the strings, pulling them closer to the frets.

If it's still buzzing with the relief set to 0.5mm then probably either the frets need levelling or the neck is twisted, something would have to be wrong with it.

what you mean "neck is twisted"? and how i can know if frets need levelling? :P

there is something that cant be repaired?

what you mean "neck is twisted"? and how i can know if frets need levelling? :P

there is something that cant be repaired?

It's rare, but necks can warp or twist.

To check the frets you need a straight edge (at least the length of the fretboard) to compare and gauge them against, it's really a job for a guitar tech.

There's a DIY thread pinned to the top of the Epi Lounge which has some info on how to check things like this and do setups.

DIY Thread

EDIT" how close are your pickups to the strings, if they're too close they maybe having too much of a magnetic influence on the strings, pulling them closer to the frets.

Necks can twist for a number of reasons, but mainly being subjected atmospheric changes (improper storage). That will also cause what is known as fret popping on occasion as well since the fretboard wood would also commonly shrink due to the dryness. Have it looked at by a decent tech who let you know the cause if they are unable to properly get the guitar set-up. Good luck.

Archived