Gibson Brands Forums

Prototype J185 True Vintage

bobcox

I have a J185 which I bought in the mid 1990s. It appears to be a current J185 True Vintage, but if I read the 'book' correctly these went on sale as a re-issue in 1999 after I bought mine.

It has Prototype stamp - serial number is 92210009

Can anyone give any id on it?

According to "Gibson's Fabulous Flat Tops", the J-185 was produced in 1990 and also as a limited edition in 1991 and 1992. I know it's currently in production and was also made in the 50s, but there's some extended periods when it wasn't made. Maybe yours was part of the process of them putting it back into production in 1990. Sounds cool regardless.

I have a J185 which I bought in the mid 1990s. It appears to be a current J185 True Vintage' date=' but if I read the 'book' correctly these went on sale as a re-issue in 1999 after I bought mine.

It has Prototype stamp - serial number is 92210009

Can anyone give any id on it?[/quote']

As Mike points out, the 'True Vintage' series did not get introduced until last year.

The J-185 was produced in Bozeman from 1990-92, then thereafter as a Centennial edition in 1994, and after that sporadically till about 1999, when the model resurfaced as a regular production model. After that time, various attempts at re-issues of the original run from 1951 - 58 were made, with the True Vintage version being the latest morph of this model.

Your 1990 is likely to be less like the coveted original 1950s version than the current 'True Vintage' issue is.

Fred

Thanks All

It certainly looks like the current catalogue picture of a True Vintage' date=' so must be one of the 1990-92 variety although the Prototype stamp is a little odd[/quote']

Well, as Mike pointed out, the serial number says it's a 1990 -- it was assigned its serial number on 9 August -- so no doubt about that. The prototype stamp means that it's one of the handful built before the model officially went into production, in order to determine the specs were "right" before the production run. It looks like a TV because a TV is supposed to look like the original, and this one is also supposed to look like the original.

-- Bob R

Well' date=' as Mike pointed out, the serial number says it's a 1990 -- it was assigned its serial number on 9 August -- so no doubt about that. The prototype stamp means that it's one of the handful built before the model officially went into production, in order to determine the specs were "right" before the production run. It looks like a TV because a TV is supposed to look like the original, and this one is also supposed to look like the original.

-- Bob R[/quote']

Early '90s J-185s are probably all long scale, original '50s short scale. But the look is similar.

Fred

Early '90s J-185s are probably all long scale' date=' original '50s short scale. But the look is similar.

Fred[/quote']

I really think Gibson should offer the 185 with a long scale-just for me of course! In all seriousness though the two I briefly owned I honestly believe would have benefitted, tonally, from the extra, hmm, 'oomph' you get with greater string tension.

'Oomph' is a technical term...

I really think Gibson should offer the 185 with a long scale-just for me of course! In all seriousness though the two I briefly owned I honestly believe would have benefitted' date=' tonally, from the extra, hmm, 'oomph' you get with greater string tension.

'Oomph' is a technical term...[/quote']

That's what the J-200 Jr is for! More bling than a J-185, but maybe they wanted to preserve the bling-to-oomph ratio.

-- Bob R

I really think Gibson should offer the 185 with a long scale-just for me of course! In all seriousness though the two I briefly owned I honestly believe would have benefitted' date=' tonally, from the extra, hmm, 'oomph' you get with greater string tension.

'Oomph' is a technical term...[/quote']

I really enjoy reading posts like this one and learning the history of models about which I am unfamiliar. But, this thread, like others is just too darn technical for me !

You guys should really try to bring it down a little. =P~

Archived