Gibson Brands Forums

Sheraton - '86 Samick

CityBoy

Hi all,

Firstly, I would just like to say that I am really glad I found this forum and hope to become a valuable member in the future, what I lack for in expertise I make up for with enthusiasm!

The action on my guitar needs changing according to my guitar teacher , however, one of the bridge mounting screws is stuck and I am now tasked with getting it unstuck which I will try soon enough. The actual screw has a pretty bad head on it already so even if I get it loose I will try and replace it and maybe even the bridge but need advice if you don't mind helping out.

Can I still get a bridge, screws and maybe even new mounts for my guitar?

Is there a standard diameter on the screw mountings for a Sheraton so I can look on the net for a replacement?

And lastly is there a suitable replacement bridge, screws and mounts that you would recommend or have heard recommended on the forum or anywhere?

I only joined today, out of desperation really as I have tried to resolve this myself but had no luck so thought I would ask for advice

If you can help that would be great, thanks in advance!

Regards

Steve

post-42479-084095800 1333491248_thumb.jpg post-42479-011146800 1333491390_thumb.jpg post-42479-041818900 1333491405_thumb.jpg

As far as I know, there is NO direct replacement bridge, for the one you have. It's a very

common problem with that particular model, of Sheraton. Most either live with it, or have

a modification done, to the posts/spacing to allow the fitting of a Nashville or ABR type

bridge. Gretsch makes a similar looking (but different pole spacing) roller bridge. But, you'd

still have to have the pole spacing modifications done.

Maybe, someone else, more familiar with those bridges, has more accurate/updated information?

But, there's been a lot of discussion, on here, and other guitar forums, about those bridges.

Most have either just "lived with it," or done some kind of modification to the mounting posts.

Any decent Luthier, can do the job, for you. Either, in fixing the current bridge, or in making

the needed modifications, for a new one. Shouldn't be all that expensive, really.

Good Luck!

CB

I got to go with C.B. all the way.

I've disassembled and modified a few things over the last few decades.

These are the type of things I don't like to guess about.

On the lighter side .....

Where do you live? If, per chance, it is anywhere around Ann Arbor, Mi. Send me an P.M.

I'd be happy to take a look at it with you.

Willy

Another thing you could try, on the sticky post, is some penetrating oil, like

Kroil, or PB Blaster, in small amounts, to loosen the area that's stuck. Just

keep the surface of the guitar covered, or at least wipe off, any excess spray.

From what I've read, it works well. But, I have NO personal experience,

with either. Still, there's a lot of good talk about them, in other guitar forums,

and guitar "fix it," chats. I would think, if you kept the surfaces clean, there

would be little chance, of any finish damage.

CB

Hi guys,

thanks for the quick responses and advice, much appreciated.

I guess my first course of action is to try and get the screw loose from the guitar then if I can get a good idea of the size of screw maybe I could get new screws and maybe even mountings as the bridge is ok itself I think.

Does anyone know the diameter size screw that is used, is there a standard size of screw/mounting?

WW - I actually come from the UK but currently live and work in Holland (or the Netherlands as they prefer to call it) with my family so not much of a chance to catch up but rest assured (or worried:-) that if I ever get a chance to come over that way I wil post my trip and try and catch up with some of you guitar gurus, as I have only been playing for a short time and appear to be better and collecting guitars than playing but I try!

have a good day, thanks again to you both and I will keep you posted if I make any progress

cheers

Steve

Steve,

Got your PM. If I read your request properly, you are not after replacing the bridge but rather one of the screws.

Um... and I mean this with no offense, but good luck! Parts are impossible to find. You will do better to replace the entire bridge, for which there is a little trick since the spacing is totally non-standard.

Contact a member on this board user-named Birki and ask him is, for a small amount of dough, he would be willing to mill you some inserts. Birki (real name Wolfi) is really great guy who solved this by pulling his bridge, pulling the inserts, milling new inserts, and drilling OFFSET holes into the inserts to accomodate standard spacing. It worked SO slick he responded to my post by offerring to mill me a set. They worked GREAT.

If you really want to keep the stock bridge, which is a tone killer and string eater, then you can pull the strings, lift the bridge (it should slide up off the posts), then use a clawhammer and block of protective wood over cloth to lift out the offending insert mount entirely. PM me an address,and I will send you my original insert and you can use that one to put into your guitar.

Neil

Hi Neil, thanks for the quick response and no offence taken, I am new to this game and don't know too much but I sort of guessed the parts have long gone, unless I break up one of my other Sheratons:-)

I would be interested in replacing the bridge too if it can improve the general quality of the sound so yes that is a good idea, I will see if I can find your post and replies from Wolfie and read up a bit. What bridge did you put on yours and what is your opinion of the improvement? some people were suggesting various other bridges AB-1's(?) etc. but I am limited in my knowledge so need a few pointers if you don't mind.thanks for the offer too, I will digest this mail more tonight when I am at home.

Regards

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

I bought a 90's Sheraton 2 and now one of the screws on the bridge has sheared.

Has anyone found a definitive answer to the problem of replacing the 72mm Sheraton 2 bridge?

I have found these:

1. Drill guitar and fit standard 74mm posts. (Expensive)

2. Buy a new 74mm or 73.5mm bridge and enlarge the post holes with a file. (Which one exactly?)

Surely someone has solved the problem conclusively?

Tired of searching on the internet.

Cheers

John

Archived