Gibson Brands Forums

how to paint a hummingbird pick guard

iwalktheline

hey guys, was just curious if anyone on here could help me figure out this minor problem Im having... I have an extra worn out hummingbird guard with the color design faded and I wanted to know if there was a way I could paint it or take it to someone to have it looking good again. I want to replace the cheap epiphone guard I have on my epi hummingbird with the gibson spare one I have but I want it to look pretty before I do it. any suggestions would be great... thanks again

sorry for misspelled words, its almost 2am......

hey guys, was just curious if anyone on here could help me figure out this minor problem Im having... I have an extra worn out hummingbird guard with the color design faded and I wanted to know if there was a way I could paint it or take it to someone to have it looking good again. I want to replace the cheap epiphone guard I have on my epi hummingbird with the gibson spare one I have but I want it to look pretty before I do it. any suggestions would be great... thanks again

sorry for misspelled words, its almost 2am......

They are very easy to hand paint. You just need to get the color of paint right and then you just go over the area with the correct color. Then when it's all dry you take a very very very light wet dry sandpaper P1,500 or P2,000 and block sand the face of the pickguard. The paint that isn't in the grove will sand off and the stuff in the grove will be left behind. Well That's how Gibson does it anyway. It only takes a couple of minutes to paint the design and even less time to block sand the face. If the engraving is worn off you will have to do a little more work. Like re-engraving the lines and then paint. Just go to your local hobby shop and get a very fine graver. Turn the pickgard over and practice on the back. It's a lot easier than you would imagine. Or... Fork over the big money for someone else to do it or better yet it isn't broken just leave it alone.

There is a post here that chronicles a guy that thought his pickgard radius was to small. He brought something in to get fixed that wasn't broken and now his guitar will probably need a complete top refinish. Sigh... in the words of the old guy at Gibson. Shut up and play the d--n thing..

Believe it or not, I painted my Bird-guard the day before yesterday. How amazing this thread comes up.

It was nothing big and I decided not to mention it here as – 1/ it was extraordinary nerdy. 2/ it would call for photos, which would be almost impossible to take as it is so little.

We're talking 'bout a few extra cream colors here and there. For some time I've found the contrast between the yellow and the zinc white (opposed to softer titanium white) too strong. Idea was to bridge the gab on a sub-optic/conscious level with a few creamish strokes (I know how colour-expression/balance can work from other activities in that field). So there I went. Recently got some ultra thin brushes for my birthday - now was the time for their baptism of fire. I'm able to concentrate and still don't shake like an old man, that's step 1. Now up came the magnifying glass and down searched the needle-brush - I was positioned in the sun comin' through the window. Important to say this is the engraved version of the guard, so obviously there are grooves to find and follow. Otherwise I hadn't done it – the Standard guard is beyond me (and wouldn't need the addition as the flora'n'fauna are embedded thus out of reach). I hit pretty precisely and was ready with a cotton-stick and a cloth if something should fail. 2 stripes added on the mid-hibicusses – then the lowest arrow-point towards the rear end of the top. Finally 2 touch-downs on the bird itself and some nuances to mellow up the all yellow butterfly under the neck. Made a few errors, but immediately removed them with kitchen-alcohol or the dry cloth. During the ride I exchanged the brush with an ultra thin cut wooden match. A trick learned when painting the cockpits of WWII model airplanes as a kid. In front of me on the table were also a minor knife – a needle – and both sprit and terpentine in small open cups.

Have to say the situation was pretty intense – I had to put romantic classical music on the HiFi to calm things down while operating. After an hour or so – seemed very timeless – it was over. Pulse went to normal. Frederick Delius put away his baton. Did it make any difference. . . . I think so yes, but as said, one has to be open for optical sub-manipulation to really get it. Luckily I am.

Will my friends notice. . . Never in this life on earth before I tell them. And even then they'll lift their brows and look at me as if I was from Saturn.

They are very easy to hand paint.

Wouldn't dare the whole deal – not even with sand paper ready. I'm sure it can be done though.

Archived