Gibson Brands Forums

"New" Peavey Preamp

Bassilisk

I scored an old Peavey Pro Bass 1000 preamp over the weekend for my seperates rig. I read a lot of good things about it so when it came up for a very reasonable price I thought I'd give it a shot. The bass rig in the rehearsal studio that we frequent upon occasion includes an old Peavey Mark VI bass head, and the pre setup looks very similar. I happened to use this the last time we were there and I thought it sounded really good. I'll be using it with a QSC PLX2402. I'm just bombing around looking to try out something a little different without going into debt.

Anybody have any experience with one of these?

I scored an old Peavey Pro Bass 1000 preamp over the weekend for my seperates rig. I read a lot of good things about it so when it came up for a very reasonable price I thought I'd give it a shot. The bass rig in the rehearsal studio that we frequent upon occasion includes an old Peavey Mark VI bass head, and the pre setup looks very similar. I happened to use this the last time we were there and I thought it sounded really good. I'll be using it with a QSC PLX2402. I'm just bombing around looking to try out something a little different without going into debt.

Anybody have any experience with one of these?

You're always finding neat stuff [thumbup] . But I would've held out for one with the EQ smiling! [biggrin]

You're always finding neat stuff [thumbup] . But I would've held out for one with the EQ smiling! [biggrin]

It was cheap enough to warrant a look. I'm in the process of looking for a new amp. I've narrowed it down to an Aguilar SC500 or a Mesa M6 Carbine. I'm not in a rush as I have a couple of things to sell. The Peavey is like the appetizer before the main course. [biggrin] It'll be a change from my Ashdown RPM-1 pre (which I will never sell) - some really nice tubey goodness in that one.

Smiley EQ = Happy Gear!!! And new gear = Happy Player!!!

Actually, I never use a smiley graphic. I am firmly entrenched in the benefits of the 300-800Hz bump (not all at once of course). 400Hz and 600-800Hz in particular do wonderful things. In a lot of cases I go flat with only a low-mid bump and it's all I need.

Smiley EQ = Happy Gear!!! And new gear = Happy Player!!!

Actually, I never use a smiley graphic. I am firmly entrenched in the benefits of the 300-800Hz bump (not all at once of course). 400Hz and 600-800Hz in particular do wonderful things. In a lot of cases I go flat with only a low-mid bump and it's all I need.

I usually run my amps flat, but like a little cut @ 800 Hz with a lower 'Q' setting in the GT-6B parametric EQ. The bass cuts through the mix very well and sounds great with mildly scooped mids. With my set-up, boosting the 800Hz range gives me a honky nasally tone. I like it deep, crisp (but not overly bright) and well defined. [biggrin]

Update - road test:

I got the pre on Thursday which gave me a chance to try it out before I took it on a gig the next day. After running numerous basses through it I found the passive basses responded best to the graphic which is well voiced. It was easy to get good tones with just some very minor adjustments (to taste of course). Active basses liked it better to be left alone, using their onboard tweaks for EQ with hardly anything off the pre.

It's a very basic unit. It has a Punch button which gives you a 250Hz bump as well as a Bright button that zings it up pretty good. I leave the Punch on all the time. The 9 band EQ covers the rest. There's a headphone input for practicing with a provision to plug in a cd player (or whatever), and it has a crossover for bi-amping.

I found it wasn't noisy at all. It has a Peak light that's supposed to help set the gain, but it looks like this one's not working - NBD. I don't push that hard anyway, plus it has a 6dB switchable Pad if the bass is really hot.

It's certainly not one of today's boutique hi-fi audiophile units, but for an old, obsolete, basic no frills and cheap piece of gear I think it fulfills its bang-for-the-buck rating admirably. BassNorthwest has 2 of these at $59 each. Need a little something for the practice room? Can't go wrong.

BTW, I was using a G&L ASAT and it sounded great all night.

Archived