Gibson Brands Forums

Need Help to Identify My Gibson

CrazyGator

Hey

Can anyone help me on identifying my Gibson guitar?

There is a six digit serial number and "Made in USA" on the back of the head. I bought this back in the early 1990s from a friend and I don't have a clue what it is other than its a Gibson. The small piece at the top was just replaced as the other one was cracked.

I have tried to look it up but have been unable to find anything.

Thanks in advance.

CG~

IMG_3170.jpg

Hey

Can anyone help me on identifying my Gibson guitar?

There is a six digit serial number and "Made in USA" on the back of the head. I bought this back in the early 1990s from a friend and I don't have a clue what it is other than its a Gibson. The small piece at the top was just replaced as the other one was cracked.

I have tried to look it up but have been unable to find anything.

Thanks in advance.

CG~

IMG_3170.jpg

Judging by the non-beveled horns, that front mounted control plate, it would seem to be a '72 SG-II, that has been "modded" somewhat, with Mini-humbuckers, and speed knobs. Not sure that finish is original, but it could be, I suppose. I think they came in several varieties...with full size humbuckers, and block inlayed necks, and P-90's, with dot inlayed necks. I would guess, your's started out, the latter.

It also appears, the original pickups had some sort of "surround" or wider collar, as there are slight indents, in the finish, around the pickup holes, and the pickguard is cut, for a larger pickup, as well.

Also, a lot of the dot neck, 2 pickup versions, had only 1 volume, and 1 tone control, with 2 slider switches. So, that 4-control plate may not be "original" either?

But, maybe someone here, more familiar with that (Norlin) era, of SG, can tell you, for sure?! Gibson did some "strange" things, back then! [tongue][biggrin]

Good Luck!

CB

Hi CG

Nice SG you have got there, I actually think it is an SG III you have rather than a II but it has been somewhat modified as CB mentioned. The main reason I think it is not a II is because the II only came in walnut or cherry finish and yours is Cherry Sunburst which was the only colour the III came in. I also think it is about a 72 model. I could be totally wrong though and it may be a II with a body refinish or a limited finish. It is definitely one or the other :). The link above from CB to a III in Cherry sunburst is really strange cause as far as I can see from specs and reference the II only came in the 2 finishes I mentioned. I think the owner of the one in the link from CB may actually also have a III.

Yours would have originally had 2 knobs and 2 switches (on and off for each Pup), it looks like the extra knobs and change of switches and config may have been added later. It also would have had Mini humbuckers originally but different to what you have now. The marks on the body suggest it may have also had others fitted along the way.

Here is a link to a spec and photo page on the III so you can compare parts to yours. By what I can see it looks about right.

SG III

Hope this helps :)

:) cheers CB it's definitely a tricky one this.

I definitely don't think it is a 70s deluxe as they have neck inlays and yours doesn't plus as far as I know from reference they only came in walnut, cherry or natural mahogany not cherry sunburst

But interestingly the half moon control panel on the 70s deluxe is a similar layout to your but not quite right from the knob positioning so I think a previous owner may have added this plate based roughly on the look of the deluxe control plate but I definitely still think it is an SG III :)

Good luck with it cheers :)

Archived