Gibson Brands Forums

$1,399 stompbox?

I said it before and I'll say it again, IF YOU WANT THE BEST TUBE SCREAMER OUT THERE, JUST GET A MAXON!

Or get a modded one from Surfpup, Keeley, or Analogman. And has we all know there is millions of TS mods out there. Too much, actually!

I like the Analogman ones myself! Keeley's are great too, but kinda overpriced. The man makes the best compressor out there but his mods are kind of overrated.

And this quote is from Mr. Dirt Box himself, Brian Wampler: "I wish pedal companies would stop building clones. Like how many people make TS clones? Ibanez makes a GREAT Tube Screamer!"

If I see another Tube Screamer clone (Maxon and modded Screamers don't apply), I'm gonna go nuts.

I think it is time for a new overdrive to hit the market. One that has never been created before. A new sound. Like when the Klon Centaur came out.

Well, I agree on the Ibanez being great (why I have so many), and I do know the Maxon is essentially the same thing. The Mods to me just aren't necessary, the stockers do exactly what I want (though I don't fault those who want something a bit different). Also not crazy about the myriad of clones (what's the point, the new Ibanez are readily available, why buy a "soundalike")?

But as for new sounds, there are some out there that are significantly original to warrant mention (and trying out). One notable one for me is the Fulltone OCD. To me, Fulltone is a maker of some really top notch effects, it still surprises me that I don't own any of them yet. And of course there are the two million boutique type brands. BearFoot has one called the Honey Bee. Some might think it a TS clone, but to me it's sufficiently different to stand on it's own.

Well, I agree on the Ibanez being great (why I have so many), and I do know the Maxon is essentially the same thing. The Mods to me just aren't necessary, the stockers do exactly what I want (though I don't fault those who want something a bit different). Also not crazy about the myriad of clones (what's the point, the new Ibanez are readily available, why buy a "soundalike")?

But as for new sounds, there are some out there that are significantly original to warrant mention (and trying out). One notable one for me is the Fulltone OCD. To me, Fulltone is a maker of some really top notch effects, it still surprises me that I don't own any of them yet. And of course there are the two million boutique type brands. BearFoot has one called the Honey Bee. Some might think it a TS clone, but to me it's sufficiently different to stand on it's own.

I dig the Fulltone stuff. I like the Xotic pedals too. Their boosts/overdrives are pretty unique. They have active treble and bass controls as opposed to a regular tone knob.

And what's with all these pedals that claim to sound like Marshall amps?

And what's with all these pedals that claim to sound like Marshall amps?

I think some of it has to do with people buying cheap amps who then realize what they really wanted later. Instead of saving for the real thing they throw a 2-300 dollar sound alike pedal in front of the cheapo and call it a day. The market is there so a lot of pedal makers are trying to cash in on it.

I think some of it has to do with people buying cheap amps who then realize what they really wanted later. Instead of saving for the real thing they throw a 2-300 dollar sound alike pedal in front of the cheapo and call it a day. The market is there so a lot of pedal makers are trying to cash in on it.

Well, the real thing will always win. When one has a cheap tube amp, and a boutique overdrive pedal that's supposedly a "Plexi or JTM-45 in a box', it sounds like a cheap amp with a pedal in front. The reason why all the demos sound good is because most people that demo these kinds of pedals demo them thru nice amps, like Dr Zs and stuff like that. In order for anything to sound good (aside from being able to play, which is the most important thing), you have to have a good guitar (I say that cause' I don't like basswood guitars very much) with good pickups and one that is set up well, good amp, beit a combo or a head, and a good cab and good speakers. For example, put a stock cheap Boss SD-1 in front of a cheap amp, and its gonna sound like a cheap amp only with more of it. Put the cheap SD-1 in front of a real good Marshall head, and you're in tone heaven. The SD-1 is a very good pedal. But a cheap Bugera tube job will never stand up to a Dr Z.

The best O.D pedal that I've ever used is the Way Huge Green Rhino,it far surpasses anything that I've tried in the overdrive category and I only paid $60.I don't know what the old style Marshall Guv'nors are classed as but even using one with a cheap solid state amp makes the amp sound like a Plexi-of course it has to have a decent speaker.

Archived