Gibson Brands Forums

Historic vs Custom shop...

dk1959

I have a Historic 57 BB. This reminds me everytime I pick it up to play, what Gibson can still offer the public. As far as I can tell, this guitar is as close as Gibson can get to a original 57 thru 60 BB. My question is, what the difference between what the Custom shop builds, and a batch made on the line, Historic collection. I think both guitars have VOS construction, (no maple cap, paf sticker PUs, the pots look vinatage to me as well, but I could be wrong, Im no expert. Whats the differnce between a Historic Collection and a custom shop Custom?

(no pun intended) david

About VOS you can check the following points which were done differently with VOS guitars (from 2006 onwards):

• Set-Up. The Custom Shop is the ONLY major manufacturer in the world utilizing a revolutionary new process that yields a perfect fret dress and perfectly cut nut every time; nut will also be hand-shaped for comfort and vintage authenticity. (PLEK machine).
  • Fretboard. Like the Page Custom Authentic, the binding is hand-rolled, with frets extending out slightly further for an incredibly comfortable playing surface.
  • Neck. Focus on three key eras for the neck size: early 50’s, ’59 and ‘60.
  • Hardware. New aging process that delivers perfect oxidation every time.
  • Finish. New proprietary finishing process that still utilizes 100% Nitro but yields an amazing vintage look

Stijn, with all due respect, you guys still can't cut a corian nut properly. All of my VOS guitars with corian, and practically every one I played in the store, needed some sort of nut work.

My BB custom was purchased new in 1991. It has a 5 didget yellow serial # 2 71**

I have played many Les Pauls over the yrs, but I always come back to this one. My affair with Customs began when I was 15 and saw the cover to Frampton Comes Alive, around 1977. I saw him live in 1980, I think this was before he lost his custom in a plane crash, and I can still remember how good that custom sounded, and looked.

thanks for the replys

david

Stijn, with all due respect, you guys still can't cut a corian nut properly. All of my VOS guitars with corian, and practically every one I played in the store, needed some sort of nut work.

Agreed, wholeheartedly. The machine can dress a mean fret though.

• 2 months later...

Ditto!

Guest farnsbarns

Further more, all but one of StijnV's bullet points DO NOT pertain to VOS guitars (in particular) at all, but CS RI's in general. VOS refers only to the finish, the lacquer is thinner, harder, contains less plasticiser, and is not buffed to the same high shine, there is some snot like gunk on the hardware which is supposed to look like oxidisation (oxidation for you Americans) but, imo looks like someone sneezed while packing the guitar, I clean it off the tail piece strait away (easy access) and off the bridge at the first string change.

Not being funny but this is the forth piece of evidence I've seen that Stijn's knowledge and customer service skills are lacking.

There, I said it!

Archived