Gibson Brands Forums

Trying to date my Sg

fishing mechanic

Obviously, I'm a newbie here. Glad I found this forum though. I own an older SG in (what I think is the original case). Pink interior etc. Number on the stock is 804600. How do we read Gibson's numbers? Any and all info. is appreciated, as I want to learn how to rate Gib's. Thanks

Trying to date my Sg - Just make sure that's even legal in your state! LOL.Pink lining with a pink shroud is an 80's case. The year of manufacture is the 1st and 5th numbers, so, looks like you have a 1980 sg man.Nice.

Gibson used 6 digit serial numbers in the '60's and '70's. The number 804600 could be consistent with a serial number from 1966 or 1969 unless "Made In USA" is stamped below the serial number, which would place it as being built between 1973-1975.

The year of manufacture is the 1st and 5th numbers, so, looks like you have a 1980

NO, this is incorrect information (as applied to a six-digit serial number). The 1st and 5th date code only applies to the CURRENT eight-digit serial number system.

BobB has explained it pretty well above. Dating six-digit Gibsons is very tricky, and normally can not be done by serial number alone. You must take many factors of the instrument into account.

Archived