Gibson Brands Forums

Doubts about string gauge , and intonation ,help!

Sin

Hello everyone, I own a epiphone sg g400 that I´m currently having some issues with, and I would appreciate your help.

here´s the problem I use 0.11 (ernie ball) strings tuned in standard E, I used them for a number of year, but recently I had to adjust the neck, and I can not adjust the intonation to save my life, the lower E is always flat, so usually when one runs out of space adjusting the saddles this means you should tweak with the neck, in my case, since it´s flat I should lessen the relief. The problem is I´m running out of neck relief and still cant adjust the intonation, the lower E is always flat. just to clarify , the strings are new, the saddles are also new and the action is fairly low. So my question is can you really use an SG with 0.11 tuned in standard E or is that asking too much of the neck? any insights on how to fix the intonation? I do have a strobe tuner. Thanks in advance for any help, sorry for the long post,

Using the neck relief is for getting it to play without buzz....it should be used to get the action as low as you want, or can. If you are using it to adjust intonation, you are making some big compromises you shouldn't have too.

It is not uncommon to flip a saddle around to get intonation where it needs to be on a tune-o-matic style bridge. If doing so gets the intonation where it is good, then the guitar should be fine.

If it does not, you might have a warranty issue. You might also check the nut as well.

Using the neck relief is for getting it to play without buzz....it should be used to get the action as low as you want, or can. If you are using it to adjust intonation, you are making some big compromises you shouldn't have too.

It is not uncommon to flip a saddle around to get intonation where it needs to be on a tune-o-matic style bridge. If doing so gets the intonation where it is good, then the guitar should be fine.

If it does not, you might have a warranty issue. You might also check the nut as well.

+1

I would rather have the intonation be a little off than the relief/action. I have never heard of adjusting the relief to affect intonation.

I'm confused though. When you say "low E" are you referring to the low pitched E, or the one that is physically lower when you hold the guitar? Usually if there is a problem with the low pitched E, it is too sharp, and you run out of room moving it further from the neck. If the low pitched E is flat and running out of room then it would seem the A and D (and possibly the G, B, and high E) would also be running out of room.

Some guitars just have the bridge slightly mislocated and may not intonate with certain gauges on all strings. I have a USA Strat like that where the low E won't quite intonate and I just live with it. Another option for your guitar would be a different bridge that allows for more saddle travel. I think the Wilkinson roller bridge falls into this category and there are others.

Intonation is a function of Nut, neck relief, action / bridge height. You cannot adjust one without making sure the others are OK. I would like to suggest that your action is too low. I normally start with the factory specs then go from there. The specs below are good for factory specs on your SG. I will check the specs with the old strings on, then put on a new set and make sure they are stretched right and stay in tune. Also while changing strings make sure the machine heads are not loose.

To check neck relief: fret the low E at the first and 15th fret (not 12th) reach to the 7th fret and tap string. There should be a small space between string and fret no thicker than a piece of paper between .006 to .010 is good. Do the same with the high E.

ACTION: Fret low E at first fret and measure the distance from the bottom of the to the top of the 15th fret. It should be 5/64". Do the same with the high E, measurement should be 3/64".

Now measure the string height at the nut; underside of the string to the top of the fret. Low E and A should measure 2/64", D and G =1.5/64" and B and high E = 1/64". If string height at nut is correct, recheck string height at 12th fret with strings open. Measurement for low and high E's should be the same as measurement taken at the 15th.

Play test: Play every string at every fret checking for buzzes. Bend High E string 1 and 1/2 steps, beginning at the sixth fret and ending at 22nd, checking for "choking" and to make sure string stays in nut slot.

I usually wait a day or two after installing new strings before I set the intonation. It lets the strings settle in. I play the guitar to make sure the strings are warmed up and then set intonation.

Archived